Thursday, October 14, 2010

It's Easy

I’ve been studying through the Old Testament in my Bible Study. Reading the story of Hannah and Elkanah, so many things touched me in that story, in a different way than ever before, mostly because I’m giving up my son right now. Sure, he’s 18 and in college, not 3 going to live in the temple, I realize that’s a big difference, but it’s heart wrenching anyway. But what struck me reading last night was so simple. I had to answer a question about sin. And I can’t remember the exact question right now, and it doesn’t really matter, and this isn’t the type of answer I think they were looking for. It’s not theologically deep. My answer about sin? It’s easy. The right choice is generally harder. That’s probably why it’s called the narrow road. Why the Christian life is described “take up your cross and follow me”. When I think about this, there are so many times that the right choice takes more work. Your child misbehaves and you make excuses that they are tired and don’t discipline. Or they break curfew and you don’t ground them because then you are stuck at home with them. Or take their cell phone because then you can’t get a hold of them. Don’t judge me. A man at work tells you you look nice and you can tell he’s interested in you. Instead of walking the long way to your desk to avoid this, you continue to walk by because you don’t get enough compliments at home. You aren’t seeking him out, but you aren’t making the wise choice. And if your money is tight (and who’s isn’t?) that’s a whole new can of worms. I know there are always areas in my life that need improvement. I try and fail every day. But I’m still trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment