Sunday, September 4, 2011

The "I'm not training" update

I got asked the other day how come I never update on my training. Short answer, I'm not training for anything. Long answer...

I was going to train for the 15K Tiger Trot, but it's on Sunday instead of Saturday and I am leading worship that Sunday, if you are home Sunday morning at 10:00 or 11:30 CST, you can check it out here http://gracepointchurch.tv/

and NATE IS COMING HOME.

Also, I have a procedure mid-September that will sideline me for 6 weeks. No running, no weights. I can walk. That's it. I will update you more on that in the future. It's elective, it's not life threatening, but definitely life and health enhancing. So I plan to bounce back quick and run the turkey trot November 19, just because while I've had several reasons to stop running and heal, I've always been able to come back fairly quickly. I have some plans for next year without looking too far ahead, a race in February and one in April.

I ran this weekend. I hadn't run more than two miles at a time for two weeks as I had that weird virus for about five days. But Friday night Steve planned a 50 mile run overnight because high temps Friday and Saturday were 108 ish. I worry about him on these long runs, so I had him call me about 13 miles from home and I went and parked at the Y and Sheila and I ran the last 8 miles home with him. Which was great, except on the way to the Y Whitney texts me and says pick her up from practice at 9:30 or 10:00 (pretty big window of time, but okay). At 8:55 we are 4 miles from home. So I tell Steve and Sheila I'm going on ahead. This is unusual, me running ahead, but he had already run 47 miles at that point.

I'm tearing down the road, (tearing is a relative term) and I'm two blocks from the train tracks and I hear the train whistle. So I speed up even more. Just call me flash. Those yassos have really come in handy. I race the two blocks waiting for the guards to come down, but I get to the tracks and the train is over a block away, so I'm able to get across without waiting. I'm making good time, but I know I'm going to be late. So I get to the bridge where I can get on the walking path or take the ditch.

For those of you not local, the ditch is a flood control system, it's a medium size river when it rains and floods. It runs from the north side of Wichita and dumps all the water on a small town south of Wichita, sorry Mulvane. Right now it's a very large dry ditch. In true Kansas fashion, it's simply called "The Big Ditch". It connects twice with the Arkansas River (which in true Kansas fashion is pronounced the "are CAN sas" river. No lie.)

I hop the fence into the ditch because this cuts about a half mile off my run. I get home with a decent time of 35 minutes for my 3.6 miles, with the street crossings and street lights and traffic, etc. was very acceptable and head to the school. I'm two blocks away when I get the call "mom, you do know to come to the back of the school." So I do where she promptly asks for money to go to McDonalds for breakfast with Crystal and McKinzie. I have no money, but giver her my debit card. This allows me to drive home a different way and check on Steve and Sheila who are walking one block from home. (Dang I made good time.)

I go back to McDonald's to get Whitney and she hops in the car empty handed. I ask where is my debit card? She is yelling as she runs back towards the door "I threw it away!" We dumspter dive and get my debit card and head home and no harm, no foul.

So today I had made plans to run with Sheila. I had my running clothes on. It's 84 degrees for a high, but windier than Kansas in the fall...wait. Anyway, I tell her I'm going to wait till Monday because it's too windy. But then an hour later I think of the cake I ate (notice I said cake, not piece of cake) so I cinch up my shoes. Steve needs a recovery run so we go for a three mile run. And let me say, it was too windy. But I had a good, hard run with Steve and I enjoyed the trail and being in nature.

That is my "I'm not training" update. 10.5 miles this weekend for no reason other than I love to run. Or because I love cake. Or because I love both???

No comments:

Post a Comment