Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Secrets

I got asked the other day for my beauty secrets because someone didn’t think I look my age.

I really don’t have any. But since she asked…

I try to eat healthy. Except for the bag of Rolo’s I found on my desk this morning that is now half a bag of Rolo’s.

I drink a lot of Diet Coke. It contains elixir from the fountain of youth.

I run to relieve stress, stress makes you look older. I run marathons…this is an indication of stress levels.

I use moisturizer. And sunscreen.

I color my hair. Keeps it from being gray, which makes me look old.

I whiten my teeth. While I like Crest white strips, I still have my secrets from my poor college student years. The dentist offers what I call “sandblasting”. It’s a salt water spray. It is not pleasant, but man my teeth are white. And I rinse with peroxide.

Sunglasses. Keeps me from squinting, which cuts down on wrinkles.

I take a handful of vitamins every night.


I hang out with 15 year old girls. That will keep you young. (Or age you in a big hurry, can really go either way).

And Sunday morning in church I told Steve this one. Dress your age. This is harder than it sounds. You can’t go in Dillards and find a rack that says age 31-35 or age 36-40. It’s rough. Not wanting to dress like your mom, but not like your 15 year old daughter either. For me, I don’t shop at Forever 21 because I’m not (forever 21). I did find two shirts at Vanity that were age appropriate, and while Whitney was buying a coat at Wet Seal I saw a couple of things I would wear. I got a great sweater from American Eagle from Whitney for my birthday. But polyester and several other synthetic factors scream senior citizen. Some articles of clothing just scream “I’m one step away from assisted living”.

Shoes can make you look older. You can find a place where comfort and style coexist. Comfort is different for each of us. Old lady shoes make you look like – well, an old lady. I find these both adorable and comfortable.



Fortunately, I don’t mind being my age and looking my age. I got to be 18, and 21, and 30. It’s now my turn to be 44. I’m going to embrace it and make it a good year. I’ll let the 21 year olds have their turn at being 21. Frankly, I’m not sure I can handle that pressure. But I'm going to try and look my best as I continue to age.

And enjoy every minute as it goes by. These are by no means suggestions for anyone else, and I'm pretty sure they are not well kept secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment