Friday, December 2, 2011

Do you give back? (and a short convo w/Whitney)

Tis the season...to get asked everywhere you go to give to charity. Bell ringers outside every store. Inside every store, would you like to give a dollar to _________ (fill in the blank). Marines outside Walmart asking for toys.

Every charity out there is begging for money. They all need money. Whatever cause you feel led to support (or not support) is entirely okay. It takes us all, it takes all kinds.

This year though, I've been hit up at work by everybody. Everyone has a cause. Wants to give back, and wants you to help them give to have a bigger impact. AWESOME. Seriously, it really is. Some examples...

Please bring a tooth brush and tooth paste to work. My church is adopting an elementary school and giving out tooth brushes.

We are adopting the Ronald McDonald House again this year. Please bring 5 things from the list below, or give me $20.00.

We are adopting 10 children from the angel tree. Please see __________ to donate. To sign up to shop with us, contact ____________.

Chili Feed, $7.00 suggested donation to benefit ___________.

Taco Salad day, $8.00 suggested donation to benefit __________.

Make "Santa Calls" to children signed up to receive phone calls from Santa.

Sew stockings for underprivileged children.

We are adopting the teens at Youthville. Please donate any of the following items and $$$.


All wonderful things to be involved in, but none really tug at my heart. And chili feeds and taco salads scare me, my food allergies being what they are.


Yesterday I get an email from Steve. Operation Holiday will be setting up one of it's distribution centers. His company has volunteered to set up the Operation Holiday facility and sort clothes and food. He signed himself, Whitney and me up to work a 4 hour shift, and told Whitney to bring her friends too.

Grocery shopping last night he walks up to the cart with all the things he thinks I will forget (oh yes he did) and a handful of hats and gloves for the donation box at work.

Something inside me is broke right now, because the first thought that entered my mind is, "my birthday is next week, he's in a giving mood, SCORE!!!"

Whitney asked me what I wanted for my birthday (I listed 5 things). She grinned and said "Grandma is working now and said anytime I wanted anything to let her know. We're going shopping."

Must remember, it's better to give than receive, it's better to give than receive, it's better to give than receive.

1 comment:

  1. Remember that, and PEOPLE are more important than things!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete