Tuesday, July 31, 2012

i'm not afraid of the dark

in a list of things i'm afraid of, and there are several, the dark is not one of them. maybe because i'm only afraid of things i can see.

when i was a child i had nightmares. i still do. and i remember my dreams. i wake up scared and don't want to go back to sleep.

so guess what a child that grew up in the 80's was subjected to? jason, michael myers and dah dah dah...freddy krueger. he was the one that terrified me.

my kids love horror movies. nothing scares whitney, and nate laughed hysterically at children of the corn, which also had me petrified. he laughed harder that i was scared, but the whole religion and cult storyline, eww.

for years my oldest brother would say "the blue man! yes, the blue man!"

friday night i'm running down a dirt road all alone. no lights in sight. no houses, cars, headlamps, radio towers, the moon had even gone behind clouds. i am fine. not a fraidy cat bone in my body until...

i hear rustling. i am scared of rustling. well, not the rustling, what might be causing the rustling.

i turn and see the road is edged on both sides by cornfields taller than my head and i think "they're in the cornfield. isaac put them there". but it wasn't isaac the child prophet from children of the corn coming after me with his scythe and sickle, it was just the wind.

no snakes, no skunks, no mountain lions.

it added to my trip down 80's memory lane when shortly after the rustling i hit the block of queen music on my ipod. what's not to love; i want it all, bohemian rhapsody, fat bottom girls, i want to break free, under pressure, bicycle..

youth revisited. good times. sheila, you shoulda been there, two of your favorite things as well, children of the corn and queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment