Thursday, July 26, 2012

lessons from the trail part 10 – success isn’t necessarily winning

marquis is big on motivation. says “this is how you get to be #1”. “you gotta believe!” he’s very good at it. i, however, am realistic in my expectations and goals. 3 work outs in i could tell i was stronger. i was faster. my endurance was better. that’s what I wanted. if three workouts could do that, what is 8 weeks going to bring? i’m very excited to find out.

first place for me isn’t the goal. success is being stronger and faster.

when he told us we were running to the top of the bleachers of wichita state university’s football field, i thought bring it on. when he told me i was going to beat him, i told him not gonna happen. i knew the only way i would beat him to the top was if he let me. and that’s not winning. but i would give everything i had. and i did. countless times up the bleachers. wore me out. do I want to outrun a 23 year old division one football player to the top of the bleachers? maybe a little. but the knowledge that it’s 1,000,000/1 odds won’t stop me from going all out.

i didn't win. but success was in the 8+ times i ran the bleachers, not being the first to the top.

sometimes things/life is hard. you dig in and you climb and you get stronger.

you find success. and it's not always in winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment