Monday, July 23, 2012

who gets my best?

i had three friends go on beach vacations this year. two went to florida, one went to california. two of them went on mad diet/workout programs to get ready to go. and they had a lot of work to do. one stayed with the same diet and workout routine she’s been on for years. no crashing to get ready to go, no trying to look better for her vacation. just continuance of her lifestyle.

all three have husbands and teenage daughters. i wandered what kind of message this sent, if anyone thought anything of it (besides me)?

i think it’s okay to eat whatever you want and not work out until you have a big trip planned. it's okay to let this be a motivator or a jump start. seriously, whatever gets you healther is great. or if you are happy unhealthy, you are at least happy.

but from my perspective, how i see my life, the people in california/florida, or in my case, south dakota and denver that didn’t know me, will never see me again, and most likely they won’t notice me while i’m there. they are not worth more than the people who see me every day and that love me. my husband and children are worth more and deserve me taking care of myself all of the time. and it matters to my husband and daughter that i want to be healthy and look my best. marquis client after us tuesday at wichita state was a boy off the heights football team. marquis introduced us, he has met whitney, and this young man knew whitney. when she told me she had talked to him and he told her that her parents were cool and in good shape, she was so proud. it matters.

i think it’s okay to have goals and goal dates and to want to look good for activities and trips and events. i just wander who is getting our best. and why we settle for less than our best until we have a trip or wedding or reunion to attend.

should we strive to be our best all the time? if looking good for vacation is important, shouldn’t we try to look good for our husband and families as much as we can? if we eat right and exercise to be/look the best we can for an event or trip, shouldn’t we maintain for our everyday life? the other 51 weeks out of the year.

and it's not all appearance, in fact, that's the least of what impacted me about this.

i took it one step deeper in my life. i go to work every day and get along with others. i’m kind, i smile. when i go home to the people who live with me, who love me, who are not spending time with me because they’ve been paid to do so, how do i act? do they get kindness and smiles?

They should get my best. i'm fortunate to have lovable people in my life. that still doesn't always make me kind.

big believer in loving everyone, which means everyone, even though that is REALLY HARD, being kind, i have to work hard at it, but i do need to evaluate who gets my best.

steve is going to see me with my hair a mess and no make up. he is going to see me in a ratty tee shirt scrubbing the floor or pulling weeds. he's going to see me dripping with sweat and mascara running down my face because i wore the wrong stuff on work out day (yes, i wear make up to work out). and he loves me when i look like this.

but every chance i have to look my best i take it. to look pretty, i take it, and to be sure he gets my best.

and this goes with my actions and words too.

No comments:

Post a Comment