Sunday, December 27, 2009

Training Week 2, Marathon 2

I started running again after a two week break, and while two weeks doesn't sound long, my legs rebelled against me pretty good for the first mile or so. After that, it was about the best I have felt in two weeks. Training in winter in Kansas can be rough. There are definitely places it's colder, but the last 5 days we have seen sunny, rainy, 50 degrees, 16 degrees, snow, ice, and freezing drizzle, and 35 mph winds with gusts up to 50 mph.

Tuesday when I ran at 5:00 in the afternoon it was 50 degrees and I wore regular running capris and a long sleeve tee shirt. Saturday when I ran it was 25 degrees with wind chill of 16, north wind, and had to run through ankle deep drifts on the sidewalk. I wore cold weather tights, cold weather dri fit compression socks, two cold weather shirts, ski gloves, ear band and my Norwegian hoodie over the ensemble. Sunday was the same weather, and the 10 day forecast shows 30 degree weather everyday, so I am prepared for it. I don't like to run inside tracks or treadmills, so I just dress warm.

I definitely feel better running, and I eat better and healthier when I'm running.

Having some pain in my right heel pretty much on a constant basis, the KC marathon was terribly hilly and that is different than what I was used to and the change in the terrain made my plantar fasciitis much worse than it was before. I have taken a total of 4 weeks off since October 17, and while it's better, it's not healed yet. I do take care of it like I'm supposed to, I splint it every night, never go without shoes, ice it and tape it when I'm running. Unfortunately it's an injury that can 6 - 9 months to heal, but fortunately it's one that can heal while you run with the right treatment and taking care of it.

This was Saturday's run, it was 5:30 p.m., and I'm a terrible photographer on most days, I had to take my gloves off and dig my blackberry out of my pocket so I was cold and shivering too.


AND IF!!! You are in the Wichita area and want to run a 10K with me either in April or May, I am running one both months, and you have plenty of time to be ready!

3 comments:

  1. Crazy as it sounds, I am a bit envious of you! (ok maybe not the cold weather, but the exercise part). I miss running b/c of pregnancy .... Way to go on another marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules, you are not crazy, or if you are I'm with you. How much longer till your blessed event?

    ReplyDelete
  3. baby is due at the end of April .. I'm hoping I can get up the energy to run at least a little bit sometime in May!

    ReplyDelete