Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I miss him

Nate will be home for three days for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping that he eats one meal with us, by the time he visits all his friends he won't have much time. But I'm fixing everyone's favorites for Thanksgiving in an effort to entice them to spend time. We get Whitney's favorite mac n cheese, Nate's favorite green bean casserole, Kari's favorite corn bread casserole, Pumpkin and apple pie and Steve requested pudding cake.

I want to share one of my favorite memories of Nate.

Nate’s sophomore year of high school we were running an errand after baseball practice.

15 year old boy + 20 hours of baseball practice per week = 3 dinners per evening.

We were stopping for first dinner at McDonald’s. A man is going from car to car and we are watching people put their windows up. He gets to my window and says “ma’am, I’m really hungry, could you spare a couple of dollars”. I have eight dollars in the little pull out drawer under my radio. I give him the three dollars and he walks right into McDonalds. This conversation ensued:

Me: I should have given him the $5 not the $3.

Nate: $3 will buy him food. It was more than anyone else gave him.

Me: Yes, but what would Jesus have done (tongue in cheek).

Nate: Jesus would’ve taken him into McDonalds and bought him a Big Mac extra value meal, blessed it and sent him home with 12 leftover Big Mac extra value meals.

And a picture from college this year. He's at the University of Kansas for a girls soccer game against Baylor (Selby plays for Baylor) with some of the "gang" he ran around with from freshman year all through high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment