Thursday, August 9, 2012

lessons from the trail part 12 - what's hidden will hurt you

i got a pedicure a couple weeks ago. i don’t do this often. because i run, my feet are tender in places, calloused in places, thin toenails, etc. i typically do my own pedicure, complete with pumice and cuticle removal, etc. because i know what hurts and when to take it easy. but i splurged and had someone else do it.

i never paint my toenails (i heard that collective gasp as you all pictured my naked toenails during sandal season). but on this day i left with lovely bronze sparkly toes. i couldn’t stop staring, they were so pretty.

then i ran the lunar trek. guess what i didn’t think to check? the length of my toenails under the polish. what is acceptable for a 4-6 mile run is not acceptable for 20 or more miles. once my feet start swelling my toes push into my shoes and if the toenails are left long they rub against the end/top of the shoe and loosen and blisters form under the toenail and it’s painful and eventually you are left with “black toenail”, no explanation needed. takes about 6 months to get back to normal.

i have two black toenails because they were hidden under the pretty polish.

john 3:20-21 “all who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. 21 but those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what god wants.

made me wander what i needed to bring into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment