Friday, January 2, 2009

Chance or God ordained?

The weekend before Christmas I ran into the same lady from my church 4 times in 5 days. It seemed everywhere I went, she was there. She always wanted to talk and for a long time. It was mildly inconvenient; one day I was at work, one day I was late getting to my place for worship, and one day it took 20 minutes from my work out. I know, really selfish. The last time was two days before Christmas and I was finishing my shopping and helping (okay, not really) Steve find black pants he liked. When I saw her that day, I ducked her. And, I did have the decency to feel bad, at least briefly. The next week, I ran into one of my son's friends everywhere I went. This was not quite so annoying, as teenage boys usually only nod or smile, because it's not cool to talk to parents. This boy did talk, but after two minutes, he had nothing left to say.

After these two occurrences, I realized that maybe God had placed these people in my path over and over so I would talk to them, and maybe pray for them. Maybe they needed encouragement, and just a smiling face or kind word would help. And I ducked, out of selfishness. During the season of giving. I have not seen this lady since, either.

I owe countless people apologies for ducking them at Wal-mart, the Mall, the Y, even at work. I began to think that some of these people don't have a big family or great friends. The may not be the recipient of kindness and encouragement often. They may be lonely. And in both of these cases, I know that to be true.

So I am left to ask the question, do I believe in random chance encounters, or do I believe God has ordained every step in my earthly existence? If so, I am responsible for my actions with every individual in my path. At least the ones I know that I can acknowledge and be kind too. So if you see me at the grocery store or the mall, I won't be ducking you.

DISCLAIMER: I make no promises regarding the Y. I am not a pretty girl when I work out. I sweat, I stink, I may have to avoid. But know that it is done in Christian love and for your benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment