Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Drinking Problem


This is my desk at work by 11:45 this morning. The coffee cup was my Earl Grey hot tea. The little round pack is crystal light. I use an 18X36 wall calendar as a coaster. I was holding my ice tea in my other hand when I took this picture. By the end of the day I will have finished all of these. And probably at least one more diet coke and ice tea. I am one thirsty girl.
Much of my grocery budget is spent on liquid. Diet Coke, ice tea, Crystal Light, Mountain Dew, Gatorade, 4-5 gallons of milk per week, plus my 3x a week habit at Starbucks. (I would like for it to be more, but it's expensive and not conveniently located on the way to work). Twenty-five percent would be a fair number. I could save roughly $150 a month if we just drank water. And I do drink a lot of water. The other stuff just tastes so good.
Most of my thought processes bring Scripture to mind. Eight years in an A.C.E. school have. I know many verses, and there are many about thirst, I looked them up, and in KJV there are 51. Exodus to Revelation. I have thought a lot about thirst today, and a few verses stick out to me. Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Doesn't leave much room for doubting the outcome here. We hunger and thirst, we will be filled. Psalm 42:1 As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.
The second one is the one I thought long and hard about. I started training for a half marathon in July. Missed running the one in October, so now working on one for March. But, I digress. With this training came a lot of running. Long runs. Kansas in July and August is hot. It is still 98 degrees at 8:30. I know now what it is like to be so thirsty that I pant. One time this summer I was attempting a new distance. I made it, and as I was running the last two blocks, I saw my husband walk out the driveway into the street and look for me. When I got home to him, he handed me a 32 oz green tumbler of ice water. Drinking that water made me feel about 100% better, 7 miles in 95+ degree heat had left me panting and thirsty. (I now run with money in my armband and stop for a bottle of water at Kwikshop.)
I was thirsty, and my husband met the need. He didn't quench my thirst, the water did, but he provided the water. I think God brought me through this thought process to get to this point. I can't quench the thirst only God's living water can do that, but I CAN provide it. So if you are thirsty, drink up! I will even bring you the 32 oz green tumbler (metaphorically speaking)!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. I love the thought that the water is free too. We don't need to flavor Christianity with all the syrups, sugars, and creams when the clear, fresh spring of living water is abundant, refreshing, and free!

    ReplyDelete