Monday, January 5, 2009

Today is yesterdays tomorrow.

I don't do New Year's resolutions. If I need to make a change, I need to make a change now, not next week, or next year. If I plan to eat better starting Monday, I can gain three pounds in two days preparing for Monday.

Philippians 1:6 says "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." (NLT)

God is expecting me to change, continually. And I want to. I just wish it didn't hurt so much. Recently I had the opportunity to see myself through anothers eyes. Someone that I respect. I value their opinion. I did not like what they saw. That doesn't make it not true. So after a period of prayer, Bible reading, and looking really hard at myself, I made changes. It was hard. It hurt. It was humbling. It was necessary. I don't always feel like making the changes, but as one of my IPOD preachers says, "fake it till you make it".

This doesn't make me fake. It just means that sometimes you have to wait for the feelings to catch up to the actions. I'm going to use a safe example. I was at Target the other day to pick up a box of pills, a package of socks and diet coke. I like Target. I have good experiences at Target. I usually shop at Walmart because it cheaper. I don't like anything about Walmart except the falling prices. This day, I got Walmart service at Target. 20 people in line. I had time to count, because there were only two registers open. Sale prices were not in the computer. 75% off Christmas merchandise had to be taken manually. When it was finally my turn, they opened 3 more lanes. The lane I was in didn't have a card reader. I asked if they could take my debit card in that lane, Sure we can. Until I handed them my card and they realized they didn't have a card reader. We had to move to another register. 45 minutes for my 3 items. I wanted to tell the lady what I thought of their efficiency. I could manage Target so much better. Instead I smiled (grimaced?) and said thank you, have a good day. Because God would not have been honored with me telling this clerk how I really felt. I really did want her to have a good day. I was just inconvenienced and irritated. (And I hate going back to a store and apologizing to someone for being rude. Humiliating.)

I CAN put actions in place and let the feelings catch up with them. If I wait till I feel something to act on it, it most likely will never get done. If I act, the feelings usually catch up somewhere during the action. The good work will not be completed on this earth, but it will be on the day Christ Jesus returns. Until then I remain imperfect, but willingly and actively changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment