Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Priorities

I was asked the other about my priorities. What really is important to me? So I made a list, and rearranged it, and once I made this list I wondered if I was brave enough to share it. And I am. There are things that need to change and some that should come off the list, but if I’m being honest, these all belong on here right now, and then I need to do some work.

1. God, Bible Study, Prayer – I am glad I can honestly say this is my first priority. Hasn’t always been, but the majority of the time, I keep this one here.
2. Steve – It’s hard to keep him here. I can get him moved to position number 1 if I’m not careful, and he should not ever displace God. On the other side of that, he can fall to position 3 below my kids, and he certainly doesn’t belong there either. There have been times I would have had these top 3 out of order, but they have always been my top 3. It’s keeping them straight that takes the most work.
3. My kids – For me it’s important to remember time does not equal priority level. Kids take more time than anything else, for a season. That’s expected and understood. Time invested does not mean they are a higher priority than they should be.
4. Food – I spend too much time thinking, planning and eating food (not quantity, I’m just a really slow eater). I do need to make this less of a priority, but food is an issue for me.
5. My extended family – they should be higher on the list, above food. And they will definitely move up the next time my mom makes her homemade caramel frosted long john donuts.
6. Sleep – I never get enough. It’s lunch hour while I type this and I want to go to my car and take a nap. It’s 68 degrees in August in Kansas. Perfect day for a nap in the car. Maybe not, I don’t think the baseball blanket is in there.
7. Exercise – I make this a priority. This is probably where it belongs.
8. Church – I love my church and would love to be more involved. My family commitments right now keep me less involved than I would like, but like I said in #3, it’s just for this season of life.
9. Friends – I love my friends. Wish I could find a way to move them up the list. In some ways I do, I Bible Study with them, eat with them, exercise with them, go to church with them.
10. Money – I need more money. Always. I have teenagers.
11. Books – I will put my library books in a trash bag and get totally drenched walking through the rain to get inside and get more books. I honestly can get a little anxious when I don’t have a book around to read. I always escaped into books when I was a kid, and it is still a place of escape from real life now.
12. Television – I like my television
13. Diet Coke – Go ahead and laugh, but I went to Kwik Shop at 11:00 at night the other day to get one because I was out at home. The only other items I would do that for are toilet paper and medicines.

3 comments:

  1. Great list! I struggle to keep 1,2 and 3 in the proper order as well.

    And my number 4 is probably coffee...with sweet tea and Diet Coke tied for 5. And sleep, food and tv fighting for number 6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I consume a lot of coffee and tea also, but being a midwesterner by birth, I drink it straight, not sweet.

    ReplyDelete