Sunday, August 30, 2009

Week 13

This was a rough week. I pushed myself on Saturday and Sunday and I felt it all week. I didn’t do anything Monday and it is supposed to be a rest day.
Tuesday was weights and a 1 mile run and a mile on the elliptical and pizza and baseball with Nate.
Wednesday was rest.
Thursday was 5 miles, and as tired as I was and with as many excuses as I made to myself, I did it and it was hard, Steve even told me he could hear me panting trying to keep up with him. THEN SLOW DOWN!
Friday was rest day – Steve and I went to dinner at a restaurant opening as a fund raiser for the American Cancer Society (more pizza) and spent 3 hours with brand new friends (he’s a marathoner, she’s a half marathoner like me, we had a great time).
Saturday was a supposed to be new distance, and I never "attempt" a new distance, because I always plan on completing it. This week it was not to be. Left the house Saturday morning 30 minutes before sunrise. 64 degrees, I was sweating at half a mile. That was the first bad sign. I got to 3.6 miles which is where Sheila was meeting me and I wanted to go home. The tape on my big toe had unwound and was sticking where it wasn’t supposed to and I ended up taking it off. I ran to our turn around point of 11.28 miles and was miserable every step of the way, running into 18+ mph winds. We turned around and headed home with a strong tailwind which is always good. We had met up with Steve who was running 28 miles, and he pulled ahead of us, but when we got to our next water stop he was waiting for us and intended to run the rest of the way with us. I made it about a 10th of a mile when I told Steve and Sheila to go on without me and I called my sister to come pick me up. It was so discouraging. I watched Steve and Sheila take off and I actually had tears in my eyes. Not from the pain in my big toe or the total utter exhaustion I felt, but because I was being left behind. I ended up with a 15.17 mile run today. I plan to take it easy this week, I’m very tired.
I went to the Y today for cross training on the elliptical and some weight training, I took it easy, but did get the blood flowing. I haven’t looked at my training schedule for this week, but I sure hope it’s a fall back week on distance.
Seven weeks till marathon.

1 comment:

  1. 15.17 miles in a day? If I attempt to run to the mailbox, I could possibly vomit my pancreas. I know you were discouraged but I am totally impressed with your accomplisment and am inspired to take a fast walk to the mailbox. :0)

    ReplyDelete