Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Things I've learned

Not a list, just one long one - Getting hit on scares the living daylights out of me. It doesn’t happen often. (Twice this year, and once was via Facebook so it doesn’t really count). Last Saturday in the library a guy followed me around (stalker!) for 30 minutes and then finally approached me when I sat down with my books. He told me that I was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. I had a “radiant beauty”. (Pretty sure it was suntan glow and endorphins from my 19 mile run that morning). I tried to keep my left hand extremely prominent, waving my rings around like I was newly engaged, but I realize that being married does not mean what it used, unfortunately. He did say he thought this probably wouldn't go any further but he wanted to meet me. I told him it wouldn't go any further and gave him a fake name - sorry Peggy, couldn't think very fast. I suppose maybe I should have been flattered, but I wasn't. Considering the source and all, it was not a flattering experience and if you had been there, you would understand this is not a scenario to brag about, in fact had you been there you would wonder why I'm sharing. I was scared to go to my car. You can forget how to deal with this kind of stuff after many years of marriage and parenting. You feel invisible so much that when someone actually sees you it’s frightening. Does this scare anyone else? Or does it happen to you guys often enough that you know how to deal with it?

4 comments:

  1. That kind of stuff would weird me out too. You're not alone there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have been mighty uncomfortable too. But, I haven't bit hit on in years and years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - occasionally. But I'm getting old - and so I think not so often!

    It is creepy.

    I've come to a place where I pretty much look the guy in the eye, with no smile say, "I'm sorry - but you're creeping me out. Please go away or I'll call the authorities." as I hold up my cell phone.

    I've had one guy laugh and say I was kidding, right? I started dialing - he left.

    I wear what is OBVIOUSLY a wedding ring. In fact, I wear a couple of them. It is sad that the marriage covenant is no longer considered a sacred thing. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I'm not alone in finding this creepy. I may have to use the calling the authorities.

    ReplyDelete