Sunday, August 30, 2009

September 1 Resolutions

Usually we make resolutions on January 1. We start the year with these great intentions to make changes. When I think I need to make a change, I make a change. I try to not even wait till tomorrow. Because to quote Garth "If tomorrow never comes"... I'm a spur of the moment person. This is not one of my better qualities, as it lends itself to sudden 90 degree, 180 degree and even occasionally 360 degree turns. However, I can stick with something, like a diet or a marathon training program, but I tend to modify it as I go along because these are life time behaviors for me.
Along with this "fly by the seat of my pants" mentality comes the ability to cancel plans and doctor appointments if I feel better, and I can even decide at 10:00 in the morning to take off work at 1:00 in the afternoon to drive to Dodge City, KS for a baseball game because I just can't stand to miss it after all (thank God for my very flexible job and co-workers). It's why I'm inappropriately dressed much of the time. I plan to go by home and change clothes before going to the next place, and then I decide the extra 3o minutes in the car and 10 minutes to change could be better spent doing something more important. Like browsing the clearance racks at TJ Maxx or previewing several new releases at Barnes & Noble while I enjoy a carmel machiato. Or reading greeting cards.
Two-thirds of the way through 2009 I have been seriously looking at where the year started and where I am now. It's going by so quick. It has been a year of tests and trial, victory and grace, blessings bigger than we deserve. But have I made the most of it? And how about going forward? What are my plans before the end of 2009? Here are some of my goals for the last 3rd of the year.
1. Read the Bible through. This is entirely possible, as I read constantly and have the Bible on my IPOD and available on my Blackberry. I have a 90 day program that I think it would be greatly beneficial for me to complete. I can always walk closer to God.
2. I have met a couple of new people at my church that I want to spend some time getting to know better. This does take time and planning (and not canceling).
3. 15 more pounds. 4 months, that's doable.
4. I have two races I want to run before the end of the year.

I can always do better in all areas of my life, and I don't want to get complacent and settle for things as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment