Sunday, August 16, 2009

Week 11

These weekly updates have shown me just how quick time goes by. And here it is, another week gone. I had a good training week. I ran a lot of miles, (44.5) and Thursday night I had the best run of my life to date (I sure hope I have more great ones like this). I went to church with Steve and ran home, by myself, which typically running by myself long distance is hard for me. I have discovered a lot of things are necessary on longer runs, like vaseline to prevent chafing, water, something for sustenance part way through, because 12 miles with no nutrition is hard. I tried something brand new that I can do now because I have the garmin, I ran minutes 1 to 4 and walked 4 to 5, ran 5 to 9 walked 9 to 10, all the way through the 12.5 miles. I never felt really tired, because I started walking before I felt tired. I ran over a minute per mile faster on my time than I ever have before. I think sometimes my walk breaks have been longer than they should have been, but because I ran myself into the ground it took longer to recover. I will definitely utilize this on my long runs. I also knew every four minutes I got to walk. Maybe it was mental, but it worked. After 44.5 this week (12 miles, 4 miles, 12.5 miles, 4 miles and then 11 miles) I will probably take 2 or 3 days off from running and ride my bike instead and do some additional strength training. I am pretty tired, but nothing really hurts. My body is screaming at me "why did you do that to me?" But just in the idea of achy muscles and tired feet. I burned 6,479 calories just from running, not counting bicycling or strength training. No wonder I'm hungry all the time. I have given up painting my toenails, and it has paid off. I am able to tell by looking at them that they are healthy and I can keep them short enough to avoid losing them. I do miss my pretty toes, though. It's a sacrifice. MARATHON IS IN 56 DAYS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment