Sunday, August 2, 2009

Week 9

I started this week off schedule, by resting on Sunday which is normally cross training. Being somewhat (okay, a whole lot) of a rebel, this doesn’t really bother me. I switch my training days to fit my schedule, if I miss one, it doesn’t make me repeat a week or try to squeeze it in elsewhere, I just keep going forward. If I’m supposed to run 16 miles and I cut a corner or two it’s not a big deal. What is a big deal is missing more than one or two work outs in a row. I may be off schedule, and I may skip one or two, but after that, I miss it. This is what leads me to believe I am actually a runner, not just someone who runs. If something hurts, I google the running pain to find out if I have to rest or if I can keep running. I have more running clothes than I have work clothes. I have my next 4 races planned. I’m not registered, but I have them planned and the training plan in place to make sure I’m ready for them.
This week’s workouts:
Monday 3 mile run, I didn’t attempt to do it fast or better, I just ran.
Tuesday strength training, stretching and spin bike. Spin bike seats are painful.
Wednesday 5 mile run.
Thursday and Friday both I didn’t exercise.
Saturday's 18 mile run ended up being a bike ride and moved the 18 mile to Sunday.
Sunday, due to the 15 mph south winds, we drove 20 miles north and parked the car so we could run with a tailwind the whole way. Steve was running 20 I was scheduled for 18. I wasn't going to make 18 in the time he made 20, and I knew it. I made it 7 miles before the chafing was so bad I gave up. Running when your legs are chafing is miserable. Dealing with the rash the next few days is also miserable. I was disappointed, I was hoping for 16 miles today, but I can't make myself consider running 7.2 miles failure. I will just press on
I have added some things to my training:
These are hard to see, but this is the route I'm running with mileage and water stops marked. It helps me plan where to drop water and I also have an idea of how far I have run. The phone is showing my stopwatch, so I can accurately track my time.
This is a garmin GPS a friend loaned us to see if we get enough use out of it to make it worth our money to purchase our own. Then, I have added Joint MD and it is really helping my legs. The GU are energy gel, like eating frosting. They taste okay. Not as good as frosting, but not bad. It's easy to run with one or two in a pocket and have them during the run for added energy as well.
All things considered, I'm still feeling pretty positive and like I'm on track. I'm glad I'm way ahead of schedule, so two weeks in a row missing my distance doesn't knock me out of being ready in October.
Hope everyone has a great week.



1 comment:

  1. Gees, running sounds more like a science than a sport! But it's just like every new thing, it all seems complicated and impossible to understand until you have a heartbeat for it. Then the learning curve drastically increases. Sounds like you're doing very well with your training. Heck, I couldn't do what you're doin'! OK, scratch that. I can do all things... :-) I just wouldn't want to try in this case!!

    ReplyDelete