Sunday, August 9, 2009

Week 10

This week I did my mid-week runs fairly easily. The strength training was a booger. Steve was with me and told me if I could do 40 reps I probably should increase my weights so that at about rep 8 I should feel like I can't do any more. So I powered through 20 pound hammer dumb bells and 40 pound barbell bicep curls. I felt like Wonder Woman. Then I did abs including reverse crunches w/ball. My abs still hurt today (and that was Tuesday).
My long run on Saturday was exactly that. Long. And hot. My running partner Sheila was finally able to run with me after 3 weekends of softball tournaments with her daughter and then vacation to Florida. Her, Steve and I ran 12 miles and 5 of them were face first into 25 mph winds with gusts up to 31 mph. Brutal. Sunday Steve and I rode our bikes and again it was really windy, same 25 mph winds with 31 mph gusts. It is hard to ride (or run) face first into that kind of wind. I like to avoid the wind, but learned a lesson about that when we ran a half marathon in June and had to run 4 miles uphill against 25 mph winds, and Kansas doesn't offer much in the way of wind breaks. So it is something I try not to let keep me from running. I do like the GU energy gel packs. They are portable, easy to consume, and much more effective than a handful of skittles or gummy bears. I am sold on the Joint MD. Glucosamine has become a necessary part of my life, I take it with my vitamin now. It has made a difference in the way my knees, ankles and feet feel. I also like the Garmin. It's pretty cool to know you are running 6.2 mph and anytime you look at it you know exactly how far you have ran. (Which translates for me exactly how far I have left to go.
I'm going to repeat something I have said before. One thing that continues to amaze me is the increased strength I have. I don't mean for lifting heavier weight, although that's pretty great. The strength I'm talking about is more stamina. Working hard one day and getting up able to work hard the next. I really like this and don't want to lose it. I feel so much better.

I have decided this week to put in a spiritual training regimen that is as challenging as the marathon training. It will be physically less demanding, require less time, and I'm sure it will be harder. But I CAN do it, and I think it's important. I most likely will share more on this at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment