Thursday, September 10, 2009

Life Lessons

I am always so thankful when an opportunity to discuss important life decisions with my kids comes up in a totally unplanned way. I had one of these experiences last night. One of my son’s close friends made some decisions that have changed his life. He is looking at a much different senior year and his plans for his life are now different. What he wants is still possible, but will be much harder. I got to talk with Nate about the situation, and I was so proud of his thoughts on the situation and how he feels about his friend. (Right here I have to give a shout out to our youth pastor Sean and all the years Nate has heard him talk about reaching out to the kids who need it and being their friend, because in this case, Nate got it right.) Along with that though, is the chance to reinforce morality, and making the right choice, the hard choice, and not entering into adult life before you are prepared. I know there is not an age when this happens that it’s different for all kids. I just think high school shouldn’t be full of adult worries. It should be about football games and grades and friends. Parenthood, it’s an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment