Monday, September 21, 2009

My Weekend

Steve and I went to a movie the other night. This is rare, we don’t movie often, but I had free tickets. The movie was bad. On the way out, we passed a theater showing this one. (I’m sure it’s bad too, we won’t waste our money to see it.) Steve stood in the aisle and took this picture, we both found it funny, and I find it someone accurate to my life. NOT IN A BAD WAY. Steve is not domineering or selfish or hard to get along with at all. He is a very wonderful person, which makes it easy and enjoyable to make everything about him. (If you want more Steve and who doesn’t? here’s a link to him singing in church. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JBkLNowDsw


This is my nephew Jeff running cross country on Saturday morning, it’s a 5K. A fun thing about cross country, it is one big race made up of many smaller races. The sprint at the finish between Jeff and the kid behind him was great to watch. And my brother is in the front row of this picture watching Jeff cross the finish line, with a stop watch.

And one more from my half marathon, l-r: my friend Sheila, me, my friend Barb and her running partner Debbie.

I’m bored, so I’m going to give you the breakdown of my weekend. HANG WITH ME, there is a point. Friday night, dinner at Outback Steakhouse, movie theater (see above) and Freddy’s for ice cream. Home at 9:30, pull in the driveway just in time for Whitney’s call saying Lolit’s mom can’t pick them up from Sportsworld (2 miles from Freddy’s) can I come get them. Back home at 10:30. To Walmart for toilet paper and allergy pills. Home by 11:00. Call from Nate, football game is over, can they go eat wings and watch sports center at Buffalo Wild Wings? Be home by 12:00. Home by 12:00, girlfriend doesn’t have to be home till 1:30 so they watch TV with me and tell me all about the game. This is pretty cool, and I was thrilled, but my eyes were pretty heavy. Saturday morning, up for my nephews cross country meet. Home by 11:00, ran 5 fast miles with Steve, quick shower and lunch, attend wedding at 2:00 p.m., beautiful wedding, good friends, good dinner, leave at 4:30 to get Steve to church for rehearsal for worship service. Home from service at 8:00. Whitney home from fair at 11:00. Nate home from work at 12:30. Sunday morning’s pre-race routine: medical tape on two toes, 50 SPF on my face, 3 layers of 20 SPF chap stick on my lips, hoping that equaled 60 SPF and my running leggings with the zipper pocket to carry my snacks. Vaseline smeared under my arms, extra deodorant (doesn’t help) no make up and two ponytail holders to keep my heavy hair out of my face, this requires an additional four bobby pins. A high protein NO FIBER breakfast, an energy supplement, allergy pills, and $1.06 for the diet coke at McDonald’s on the way home. Ensured Steve’s alarm was set so he wouldn’t be late for church and Nate’s alarm was set so he wouldn’t be late for church (the 11:00 service, what can I say, he’s a 17 year old boy). Moved hamburger and chicken from the freezer to the fridge for lunch and dinner and put away a load of towels. In addition, my weekend included taking a tire to Walmart to have a nail removed and have the tire repaired and then I put it back on the car myself, because Steve wouldn’t be home till after dark. Four loads of laundry, cooked three meals, packed two lunches, did the dishes and worked my paying job from home for two hours.
This may sound like a crazy weekend schedule. But honestly, it’s normal. Except usually I run further than 18 miles in a weekend. I regularly think I need to simplify. So I try to decide what activities need to go. Work, definitely. It gets in the way of my fun and sleep. Chores and housework also get in the way of my fun. Paying bills? I would much rather spend my money at the mall. Spending time with my kids when it fits their schedule needs to change, if they want to talk to me, they can come home at decent hour so I can go to bed at 10:30. I don’t need to wait up for them to hear about their day when they come in. They can show a little consideration. (Any mothers of teenagers laughing at that one so hard they wet their pants?) And movies and dinner with my husband aren’t really necessary are they? I’m sure there are other women who would go with him. I don’t need to go to church, I been going for 41 years. I know the Bible and all the songs, and they are also on CD’s so I can sing them in the car and at home.
This is a recipe for disaster. So while I try to schedule in downtime for my whole family, even if it means going out to dinner at a restaurant known for slow service, I do it. If it means being a little sleep deprived to make my family’s life better, I will do it. I know God wants me to be a godly woman, a godly wife, and a godly mother. I will do it. Why? Because it’s ALL ABOUT STEVE!
Having said that, tonight we’re eating leftovers for dinner and I’m going to bed at 10:00. At the absolute latest. Unless the Cardinals game is televised, and then I’ll go to bed when it’s over. Priorities.

1 comment:

  1. A.) Good priorities. Especially the part about the Cardinals.

    B.) Anyone else think it strange, or am I too old for my age, to think that a 1:30 a.m. curfew, even if it is on a Friday night, is a little excessive? By like 3 hours??

    C.) Did I read that right? 41 years? As in, "I am 41 years old." (this being YOU, of course). NO. Way. Seriously. Nuh-uh. Not possible. Or it is possible and you have been blessed with the ability to age VERY well! Of course, I'm 33 now and still have people guess me to be in my mid-20's. Lucky me! Although I suspect that number will start to creep closer to the late 20's and before you know it, people will be guessing me to be OLDER than I actually am.

    ReplyDelete