Sunday, September 20, 2009

Week 16

My last 6 training runs have been tough. I added a degree of difficulty, Steve. His easy run pushes me. While I'm panting and sweating and unable to catch my breath, he is running along next to me...SINGING!!! While we are running that frustrates me, but shortly after I revert back to being extremely proud of him, and so very thankful he runs with me. Today I ran the Wichita Half Marathon, and reaped the benefits of training with him. I started with my usual race philosophy of starting at the back of the pack and conserving energy. I ran better than I would have imagined. I did add 5-6 minutes to my time with a stop at the port-a-john at mile 5, well worth it, and had to take my insoles out of my shoes at mile 6 cause they had rubbed quarter sized blisters. Even with that, I finished 15 minutes faster than my half marathon in June, one week into my training. I also beat my goal today by 4 minutes. The best feeling though, was at mile 10 being able to speed up. At mile 11 being able to speed up. At mile 12 being able to speed up. And at mile 13 being able to full out sprint, and really sprint, (sometimes I can work harder to go the same speed I was previously) to the finish line. Had Steve been there he would have told me I had too much left, I should have left more on the course. And he would have been right. Thanks to a friends husband for the "action" picture above.
Marathon is in 4 weeks, and I have one long training run before then, but a lot of short runs and cross training to get me ready. I'm excited. And now I'm tired. So I'm going to go sit on the couch and let my mind turn to mush watching TV while my kids nap.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK!!

2 comments:

  1. way to go! I did a 5k yesterday and felt great - I am impressed with your helf marathon! Your running posts always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Your smile really jumps out in this picture. I'm not sure I'd have the energy to even lift the corners of my mouth at this point! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete