Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How did that sneak up on me?

I know (and have known) for years that my son would graduate high school in 2010. It’s not a surprise or a shock, and it’s something I thought I was well aware of and prepared for. I have ordered graduation supplies (barely made it, ordered them on the last day possible and had to go to the Jostens rep’s actual location and they are only open from 2:0 to 5:30 every day and I was on jury duty and didn’t know what time I would get out and lunch is over at 1:30 and the judge didn’t give me flex time like they do at work and I had to send my mom and was texting her directions from the jury box hoping the judge didn’t yell at me like my boss does for texting on the clock, “turn left across the street from the Sonic, no go past the Walgreen’s”. You’d have to know my mom, but not complaining because she was out there doing it for me, with the instructions “get the bare minimum, and don’t spend more than $125.00. I know it’s a once in a life time occasion, but everything adds up…and all because my wonderful darling son never gave me the form that I asked for and then I promptly forgot and so did he but I did get a postcard on Monday night that told me I had till Wednesday to get the stuff ordered, but that’s all another story. Or it would be except I just told it). I have printed the 2010 baseball schedule to make sure I could be at every game. New cleats, catchers glove and baseball bag, all compliments of older cousin who won’t be using them this year. Lined up a photographer for senior pictures, but gonna wait for a heat wave of at least 35 before I schedule them. ACT’s have been taken, twice, and increased the score, he would like one or two points higher so that he can go anywhere he wants plus be eligible for academic scholarships because his GPA isn’t good enough, but the 26 on his ACT’s will. Imagine the frustration I feel with a kid who can go in and knock out a 26 on ACT’s but settles for a 2.95 GPA. And he’s brought it up his senior year. But then, that is a trait he gets from me, so I understand it, but it still frustrates me.
But I’m getting way off my subject here, (no big surprise). Monday morning on the way to school – pardon me while I chase another rabbit, because while you don’t need to know this, I need to tell it – the van’s heater and defroster doesn’t work. It did till we let someone borrow it who didn’t know the air conditioner didn’t work and thought if they pushed the switch HARDER it would come on. Broke the switch so now it just blows air and makes a clicking sound. We have just been turning the radio up. Since it is single digit temps in the morning right now, I’m driving every one to school in the car that has defrosters in every window, the side view mirrors and seat warmers. (Whitney doesn’t have a seat warmer so she brings a blanket. And naps on the 7 minute trip to school). Back to subject, I ask Nate if he can get a ride home. He says, sure, oh wait mom, I don’t have 7th and 8th hour this semester. Once baseball starts I will stay and get the field ready and do blocking drills and extra hitting with Dylan and Justin, but until then I have two hours before I have to be back to lead conditioning. WHAT??? You only have 5 hours? And only need 3 to finish up? You are that close to finishing? One semester each of Physics, Pre-calc/Trig, and English? You are taking gifted seminar (study hall for kids in the gifted program, he can study or sleep or even practice more baseball that hour) and weights? That’s all you have? 18 weeks and it’s over?
I can remember so clearly the first time I held him when he was 3 hours old. I remember his first step in Grandma’s yard to pick up an Easter Egg when he was 8 months old. I remember the first guy I dated after he was born (the only one until Steve) and him running up to him and kicking him. I remember his first day of kindergarten when he nonchalantly waved over his shoulder at the door to his class and said “you can go. I’m fine.” I thought I was ready for this, but where did the time go? How did I get here with full knowledge of what was going on and yet still be surprised by it. I thought I was the mom who had raised a great kid that was strong and independent and ready for the world and I was ready to not only let go, but to nudge him out of the nest and encourage him and say “Fly little one.” (Okay, not really, I’m not that sappy).
So I must admit, that while I smugly said that the end of last school year didn’t bother me, and that enrollment and the first day of senior year (and 8th grade for the other one) didn’t affect me, I have been teary eyed a few times over this the last couple of days. (Of course, I cry easy, I’m emotional enough on my good days, so stay away on bad ones.) I won’t be going on and on about this over the next 4 months, but will most likely share senior pics and baseball moments and graduation moments as they arise. Be forewarned.

Wonder boy (Nate, as in “I wonder why he did that”) did ask me if he made it to his 18th birthday without committing a felony or impregnating his girlfriend did he get a bonus gift. But that really is another story, and one I’m not ready to tell yet.

1 comment:

  1. That's kinda like us going "What? It's my 20 year reunion ALREADY?" How time flies!

    ReplyDelete