Sunday, January 24, 2010

Training Week 6, Marathon 2

Tuesday I decided to try the pool running. I almost didn't, because first of all I knew I was going to feel like an idiot running from one side of the pool to the other. And then I got there without shower shoes or shampoo or a comb. I knew that I still make excuses not to exercise, so in I went. First lap down the side of the pool I was running, it was kind of fun. Back up the other way and I discovered I had chosen to run where the water is pumped in. I got 3 feet from the end and was running as hard as I could, pumping my arms, leaning forward, and the current from the water rushing in was moving me backward. It ended up being a very tough work out, and it went really quick, I ran for 45 minutes and it didn't seem near that long. And it was hard.
Then on Saturday I decided I was ready to run. Maybe not ready, but really wanted to. I have a friend who is training for a 10K in April and she just started running in December, but it has all been indoor and she wanted to try outdoors. So I told her I'd run with her. 4 miles in the Kansas wind. I'm used to it, 15 mph winds with gusts of 25 for one mile. She did an amazing job, but then I knew she would, because she is a strong person. She's still waiting to decide if she really likes running.
My heel was great, I did my other training in the pool, running in the lap pool. It goes from 5 feet at one end to 8 feet at the other. So I ran until the water was too deep and then I swam. I'm exhausted. I did a few laps where I kept running even though my feet didn't tough the ground. I'm sure it was comical to watch, but it was work to move my legs and arms like I was running and keep my head above ground. I'm even beginning to question my sanity. But it was kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment