Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Someday I will be an old woman

The other night at dinner…
My brother was in town from Seattle over the holidays. My friend Sheila and her family, both my brothers, one nephew, Steve, Nate, Whitney and I were going out to dinner. TGIFridays. On Wednesday. Whitney was coming with Sheila and her family. They were late. I called Whitney to see where they were. “We’re still at Sheila’s”. I asked her if they were coming and she says, “I don’t know”. I hang up and I’m punching in Sheila’s number when I hear laughter from my brother as Whitney sits down next to him. I’d call her out for lying, but I have to appreciate the pretty good joke it was.
I didn’t put my phone back in my purse. When it vibrates on the table, my brother sees it’s our mother and answers my phone. My mom, bless her heart, has too many children to keep straight which one she wants to call at which time, and we all get the phone call “oh, I meant to call your brother / sister / daughter / son, etc. When we are together and she happens to call, we have great fun with this. Last year at my son and nephews baseball game she called me (I knew it was to check on the game) and I purposely didn’t answer. She called my brother. He purposely didn’t answer. Brother number two, also didn’t answer. My sis-in-law is sitting not with us and we roared when her phone rang and it was mom, checking for dad to see how the kids were doing.
This night, my brother takes it one step further by answering it with a Chinese accent asking if he can take her order. She believes she has a wrong number and calls a second time to get the same blonde haired white skinned Chinese man. She figures out it’s not really Chinese at this point, but not why he’s answering my phone. It’s cruel, and someday my kids will pay me back by treating me this way. I hope I remember how funny I think it is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment