Tuesday, May 22, 2012

It's your life

I have decided that's my new stand on things. I will love you and support you in your decisions. If they are bad decisions but not immoral or life threatening, I will keep my mouth shut. If they are bad decisions and immoral and life threatening. I may still keep my mouth shut.

Okay, if you are about to get snake bit I will yell, "hey, look out for that snake". And if you tell me you are going to rob a bank or abduct a child or kill your husband, I will try to talk you out of it.

But if you want to buy that horizontal striped dress and wear it, I will let you. No recriminations. (I bought one last weekend, and I love it).

If you want to go on an unhealthy unsustainable weight loss plan, I will let you, without verbally passing judgment and warning you that when you can't sustain it, maintaining weight loss is just as hard as losing.

When you eat that third piece of cake (STELLA) I will let you, but I might tell you to leave the last piece for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I have my life to live, my kids lives to meddle in, and I'm not getting it right.

Whatever your choice is, it's exactly that. YOUR CHOICE. Good luck with that. I get questioned so much on my choices, and I hate it. HATE IT!!

What gives me the right to make you feel the way I feel so many times?

"Do you know how hard running is on your body?"

"You aren't paying your sons way through college?" (Insert paying for ... apartment, car, etc. here)

"You run so much, I thought you would eat healthier than that." (At a birthday luncheon for a co-worker where the healthiest thing on the menu is beer because it's at least made from natural ingredients and can't be fried. Or can it? Has anyone ever had fried beer?)

I can go on (and on and on) with even more personal questions I've been asked.

But I have decided that I no longer will be passing judgment or disagreeing with your life choices. I don't much anyway, I'm pretty opinionated, but leave me alone, I'll leave you alone, on the stuff that isn't going to affect your well being, spiritual or physical at least.

So if I make you feel bad, become holier-than-thou, go all super Christian, the honorable Judge Judgemental, tell me to stop it.

You have my permission.

It's your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment