Sunday, May 20, 2012

T minus 16 weeks

Some days it's rough to run and some days I feel I could run forever. Most of the time, if I'm running with Steve it will be a terrible run and if I'm alone it will go great. I'm sure it's because I want to impress him.

I had it reinforced this weekend why I don't run with new people often. Steve hosted the Steve 50 Fun Run this weekend. It was exactly that. LOTS OF FUN. It was a 50K instead of 50 miles. Complete with hamburger cookout and cool people. When Steve was done I had said I would go out and pick up the flags marking the trail. One of the guys said he would help me. He is super competitive and had already irritated me with a commment he made earlier in the day. I told Steve I would probably walk some of the trail while picking up the flags.

Off we went, and this guy that I have never ran with before doesn't know that I'm seriously a slow starter, because it takes a mile for my legs to loosen up. I really run the best miles between 5 and 25. He may have been taking it easy for him, but for me it was way too fast. So I let him pick them up himself and walked backward up the trail to the aid station. Feeling like a bit of a loser. I hate when I let people do that to me.

Anyway, I have my doubts I will be ready to run 50 in September, and I will have the doubts till September. Probably right up to the moment I finish. I registered for the River Run, a 10K here in Wichita June 2. Looking forward to it. Hoping to get a new PR in the 10K distance.

Highlight this week was running through the intersection at 37th and Meridian to applause from a car waiting at the light. (It was Coach Thomason, Whitney's high school volleyball coach and one of her classmates, but it was still pretty cool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment