Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Voice

It’s a reality/game show on television with vocalists performing to win a recording contract. Unlike the many others on television you don’t see people sing who shouldn’t. You don’t ever wonder why they are humiliating people. You truly see talented individuals on the stage. If you haven’t seen it, a quick description, 4 judges sit with their backs turned to the stage, and judge only on the voice. The contestant comes out and sings. The judges have buttons that spin their chair around. If they turn to you, you are selected to go to the next round on their team. If more than one judge turns, you get to choose your judge. The judges are current music artists.

This round is the blind auditions. We watched them and I had 3 favorites. Jermaine was a backup singer for Alicia Keys, Tony is a former Mousketeer and has been performing acoustically for years, and Chris is an opera singer from Wichita, Kansas. (HE IS MY FAVORITE). And Steve’s, and Whitney’s…
The final show is tonight. These three men are all in the finals. It’s not that I know music, I’m just every woman in America, I guess. Last night’s performance show was one of the best competition music shows I’ve ever watched. Two performances by Chris Mann were awesome.

And this is what I really wanted to talk about. His two songs.

I’ve heard them before, probably everyone has. Whitney says I have no soul because I don’t get goose bumps when people sing. Nope, no goose bumps but I have tears. And both of these moved me to tears.

The Prayer
Pray you'll be our eyes,
and watch us where we go
And help us to be wise,
In times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer,
When we lose our way
Lead us to the place,
Guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe.


Have you ever prayed that? Maybe not those exact words, but the context? “Lord, I’m so lost. I don’t know what to do, help me to make the right decision?”

You Raise Me Up
There is no life - no life without its hunger;
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity.


What do you hunger for? What is your heart restless for?
When you feel the presence of God, are you filled with wonder? Do you get a feeling of peace that makes you glimpse, even for the briefest second what eternity in his presence will be like?

I love when God speaks to me through mediums that are unexpected. When he gives me a little something unplanned.

1 comment:

  1. We had The Prayer sung (sang?) at our wedding. Couldn't think of a more appropriate lyric for the start of our lives together. Sometimes I go back and watch the video just so I can hear them sing it again.

    ReplyDelete