Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lessons from the trail part 3 - making peace with my weakness

One of the biggest things I've learned about myself through running is what my weaknesses are and how to deal with them.

I don't do nutrition well on long runs. I laugh about stopping for a donut, and I do that, but reality is I should fuel my body better when I'm running for 4-6 hours. I'm going to have to change that as I run further and longer and attempt 50 miles. I will have to eat when I'm running for 12 -16 hours.

When I feel good starting out I push to hard early on and struggle horribly to finish. I have to realize when I feel good early on to take it easy and save something for the second half, or fourth quarter.

I get in my own head. This is the biggest weakness I have. I start hurting. Or having trouble catching my breath. Or realize I'm working to maintain a really slow pace. And I start thinking I can't do it. Or I shouldn't do it. Or I won't be able to do it. Or why am I doing it?

This is usually the time I do one of two things. Give myself a pep talk, or call for help. Literally call someone to come get me. And this doesn't necessarily have to be on a 20 mile training run. It can be on a 4 mile run. What I have to do is evaluate whether I really am just down, or if I really feel bad. After 4 years I can now tell the difference.

My pep talk is something like this.

"You have run several marathons. Hard courses. You can do this."

"Just keep moving forward. Run what you can, walk when you can't, it will get better. Just get past this feeling, and it will get better."

"Remember all the times you've been here before. How did you get through that? Can you do it again? Aren't you stronger now then you were then?"

And the one that works best...

"No one will know if you quit early. No one will know if you don't finish this run. Except for you. And that will matter the most. And it will matter on race day."

What I've noticed is this is how I deal with life. When I start hurting. When I want to give up. When there is nothing left in me. Sometimes I call for help. And if I call you, (and you know who you are) thank you so much for "the ride" and getting me through the rough spots.

Sometimes I need a pep talk. This one is easier. Because I have The Book.

Phillipians 4:13 I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST BECAUSE HE GIVES ME STRENGTH.

Colossians 1:11 God will strengthen you WITH HIS OWN GREAT POWER so that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient.

II Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.


I will gladly make peace with my weaknesses so that Christ's power can be made perfect and work through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment