Sunday, June 7, 2009

Week 1 training update

Finished week 1 of marathon training. Got every workout except the 30 minute bike ride in. Yesterday ran a half marathon at El Dorado Lake. Trail running is harder than street running because the terrain is not smooth. We ran part of it on horse trails, which recently had horse traffic on them. Big hoof size divots in the ground that had to be avoided. It's hard to get a rhythm. Ran half a mile on rocks, and the climb up the side of the dam was killer. But all that was mild compared to the turn at mile 7 and the next 4 miles was directly head on into 24 mph winds. Not gusts, a constant wind. If you've ever lived in or visited Kansas, you know what I speak of. It was also a gradual uphill climb at this point. Then there was the snake on the trail, fortunately for me a runner in front of me must have stepped on him and he was dead, so the screaming and high stepping didn't last long, but did deplete some energy and air stores. My running pal laughed so hard at my antics she was doubled over gasping for air.
All things considered, this half was a success for me. I learned a lot from the first one I ran in March, and took 6:01 off my time. I think I could have done better yesterday, I didn't push till mile 11, and I know I had more in me. My calves and my abs are letting me know I worked them hard yesterday, my right heel is sore, but I feel pretty good. I am very tired, thirsty and hungry, but I burned 2035 calories, so that 's to be expected.
I will leave you with a picture, consider this my "before" and in October after the marathon (yes, I still plan on training and running one or more, although the thought of running twice as far and twice as long as yesterday seems daunting) I will post an after. I love running and I know I won't stop unless health dictates that I have to. My kids are old enough that I have the freedom to do this. Tomorrow I will run the 5 miles to the baseball field for my son's double header. It's all bike path with lots of shade, so it's a nice run. I will do this again on Thursday before his game as well. Saturday I have a 10 mile run, I think I will run the bike path from K96 and 127th to the nature park at Oliver and 29th and the rest of the week will squeeze in a day of cross training and two days of strength work.
Hope everyone has a blessed week!

Me and my wonderful man who ran "his" race this time and took 51:21 off his time from the last one when he ran with me to make sure I could do it.


1 comment:

  1. My husband LOVES to run, but gets shin splints pretty bad (just learned from the doc yesterday to hydrate REALLY well before he runs and that should help). He does miles and miles with ease. Something I am truly jealous of. I wish I had the same love of running, I really do. I enjoy working out and need to get back into a routine, but with one vehicle and a husband on 2nd shift, it's hard.

    ReplyDelete