Sunday, June 28, 2009

Week 4

I have successfully completed 4 weeks of marathon training. This was the worst by far. Not in physical training, but mentally. I did all my workouts, but had two days I seriously contemplated quitting. Wednesday I did a trail ride with Steve. Fifteen miles, two hours of chasing him up and down hill, over rocks, through sand and sweating like crazy. I actually was able to ride through the sand for half a mile where it undulates, for the first time ever. Major victory for me. On the way home though, I just didn't want to do it. Unfortunately, had no choice. Thursday night I ran to Nate's baseball game, 5.5 miles. I had a six block stretch where it took everything I had to keep going forward. I literally wanted to sit down on the trail and not move. I gave myself a pep talk, something along the lines of "you want to run a marathon, that is going to be hard. If you can't power through the last 1.5 miles of a 5.5 mile run, you can't do 26.2." I finished, and I thought along the way that I can't take anymore failure in my life right now. Not any that I can control, anyway, and this is within my power to finish. THEN I got to the game and one of Nate's teammates stopped my on the way by the dugout and called me a runner. ME! A RUNNER! He said he told my son a couple weeks ago that he thought it was cool that his mom could outrun him. Then my 19 year old nephew (college athlete) commented that I didn't appear to even be tired. Appearances are deceiving. Anyway, the positive comments helped. Getting told I was crazy on Saturday by an adult friend from church was also taken in a positive light. See, I had just ran 12.5 miles successfully. First time I ever ran that far by myself without a friend or husband for moral support. 2 miles from church, my finish line, I actually got pretty emotional (tears, but with all the sweat no one would know) because I had thought about quitting earlier in the week, and if I had, I would have missed that feeling of accomplishment, that feeling that I CAN, in spite of my weaknesses which are many, over come them. I am going to digress from training for just a minute here and say that I was deeply convicted by the Holy Spirit that there are some spiritual disciplines that need the same perseverance applied to, and that is going to be a priority. There are still people in my life that comment that they are surprised that I did it, or on a new distance or challenge they doubted I could do it, even this last Saturday. Not sure what I have to do to prove myself to them, but am sure I don't care. It's not necessary to prove myself to anyone EVER AGAIN. I still hear that I'm crazy and people ask me why I do it. Not sure I have one definitive answer, but I guess because I CAN. I keep waiting for it to get easy. Hasn't happened, but I haven't fallen out of love with the run, so I'll keep going.

I juggled my rest days from Monday to today, will cross train tomorrow. This week is
Monday - strength and elliptical
Tuesday - 8 mile run
Wednesday - 5.5 mile run to ball field
Thursday - cross training, trail ride
Friday - rest
Saturday - 14 mile run, running with a friend from church who is training for a marathon and has a 9 mile run and has never run that far before. Then I get to run another 5 miles.

I praye that you all would be strong and healthy. God bless.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Patsy! I wouldn't know ya from a peanut butter & jelly sandwich if it walked up to me on a sidewalk to shake my hand, but I'm PROUD of you! I get just how easy it is to try and persevere at the physical things, when it seems much harder to persevere at the spiritual things. Boy, do I get it. This is a verse I'm sure you're very familiar with, but it just seems so appropriate today:

    Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on JESUS, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. -Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

    Be blessed today!

    ReplyDelete