Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I feel pretty, oh so pretty!

Beauty is skin deep. Or so I was always told. Last week when I was grocery shopping I got in line for what might possibly be one of the slowest checkers in the world. This gave me plenty of time to unload my groceries, decide which candy bar I really wanted but couldn’t eat and read the headlines of the tabloids. They were full of Angelina Jolie. I do not personally know Ms. Jolie. Do not think much of her reported morals, but I only know what is in the press. I do know right now they are reporting that she doesn’t like losing parts to younger, sexier women; one in particular who has modeled herself after Ms. Jolie down to mimicking her style and location of tattoos. While imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, you can cross a line. It is reported that she is taking jobs away from Ms. Jolie, but since it’s not exactly taking food out of the Jolie clan’s mouth that’s really not an issue.
What I felt when I saw this was sadness over the pictures of Ms. Jolie; four years ago and the current picture. We all look older in the last four years, especially a woman who has been pregnant twice, giving birth to three small children as well as having her three adopted children. I understand she has nannies and housekeepers and personal assistants. I did not feel sadness for Ms. Jolie specifically, even at 34 or whatever age she is she looks really good. I felt sadness for my gender. I hate that we are judged by how young we look and how sexy we are. I hate that there is such a shortage of good men, single and married, men that love their women and stay with them and don’t trade them in for a younger, sexier model. (I do realize that women judge men by their looks too, I just choose not to address that right now). There is a shortage of men that are judging women by their external appearance instead of what really matters, the beauty inside.
For those of you who know me well, or have read even one post of my blog, you know that I exercise like a fiend. I’m pretty honest about starting exercising because I wanted to be skinny. Somewhere along the way, I found out that there is so much more to it than just being thin. I realized the health benefits, physically, mentally, and yes, even spiritually. It has benefited my marriage, my spiritual life, some friendships and even my family. I dye, tweeze, wax, whiten, shave, condition, moisturize and perfume. I’m looking at investing in a whole wardrobe of turtlenecks.
I had this typed and scheduled to post, and then last Sunday saw Wendi’s post on Miss Ellie, from the world’s ugliest dog competition. Check it out, worth the read, wendiwebber.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. That's so true how exercise affects your whole life! I haven't been able to for a couple months due to not having a vehicle in the evenings, but I think I'm getting ready to have the chance again and I CANNOT wait! What I miss the most is how well I slept and the amount of energy I had just to get through a day.

    ReplyDelete