Sunday, June 20, 2010

Marathon Training

My marathon training is actually Steve's 50 mile training plan. Right now, it's not terrible. I run 5 days a week. Three during the week and this week was two five milers and a 3 miler with 11 on Saturday and then 5 again on Sunday. Happy to say I did them all. Steve is very supportive of this. Understandably, he runs too. The night I had a three mile run (because I didn't get up in the morning) he had already ran his 8 mile during the day. But he ran my 3 mile with me too. And then today, he ran his miles this morning before church (and again, I didn't get out of bed, but Nate got home from Lincoln, Nebraska really late, I have a reason) so I had my five mile left today. Running Sunday after a long run Saturday is hard for me. Not gonna sugar coat it. And then Whitney tells me her volleyball games are at 5:00, 6:00 and 8:00. I knew about the 5:00 and 6:00, was planning to run after that. Not running ater 8:00. So being the tough girl I am, I grab my running water bottle and decide to run at 3:00. Not the worst part of the day, the sun is no longer directly overhead, and I aim for the shade as much as possible and my 24 oz bottle of water has to make 2.6 miles to the convenience store where I can drink and fill back up and run home. Steve has already run 13.25 this morning, but he gets his shoes and his water bottle and runs with me. At least we're not a mixed marriage, we're both crazy. It was hot today. Heat index was triple digits and the south wind, which was blowing 20 mph, not gusting, just straight hot head wind for the last 2.5 miles didn't make it much fun. Plus, I didn't leave myself much time to run 5 miles, shower, and get Whitney to the gym by 4:30. But MAN!!! What a feeling of accomplishment when I finished my five miles today. Being a runner in Kansas. You see it all. I have sprinted the last .75 of a mile home as I watched the electrical storm blow in. I have ran two miles in pounding rainstorms. I have worn my trail shoes to run through snow, and own running pants for below 35 degree running. The most important part is just to be smart. Know when to run, when to walk and when to cower indoors. And to properly fuel and properly hydrate. It's not for the faint of heart and for those who don't like to perspire. I had sweat dripping off my elbows after 4 minutes. Not sure if it was running down from my armpit or down from my wrist. Does it matter? Anyway, 29 miles this week, all hot, but all good! Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment