Thursday, June 24, 2010

What makes him great

Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away. It’s a great way to keep in touch with people who live close that you don’t see as much as you would like to. But it allows you to see a lot of people’s lives. In some cases, more than you want to know. It is also extremely narcissistic. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t care if you are sitting on the couch watching TV with your husband. That’s a nightly occurrence at my house, not big news. I realize facebook is a time waster, but in some cases, it’s a much worse time waster than others. Mine, when I’m reading what you ate for lunch. I love the updates about kids and health concerns. I don’t want to hear how much you weigh or how many pounds you’ve lost. I also don’t want to hear that you’ve been sitting in your house crying all day because you are depressed. In the typed word, I have no idea how to take this. Are you suicidal? Holding a gun or a bottle of pills? It’s not the place for a cry for help. Call me, I’ll race over and do what I can. Post a status, and I don’t know what to do. I also hate generalizations about mean people or people who are so depressed they have to try and pull others down. Maybe someone was having a bad day. Maybe they said something flippantly they didn’t mean, shouldn’t have said, didn’t come out the way it should have, and have no way to apologize for it. Like my latest “should’ve put my muzzle on this morning” comment and the groveling and apology I had to send to one of Steve’s closest friends explaining that my comment was not directed at a flaw in Steve’s character, but actually inwardly at one of my more annoying traits and the lengths he goes to put up with me and be kind. Quite humiliating. I love the pictures and videos of activities of you and your family. The hundreds of news clips and yahoo stories, if I want to know that, I’ll read it myself on their website. Having said this, I realize my posts about my kids sports and graduation and other activities may irritate people, however, they are for family in Seattle, Manhattan, Bakersfield, Michigan, Iraq, etc. So I get that a lot of posts are not directed to me, and I’m okay with that and can move on by. But if I ever resort to posting a status “Patsy is sitting on the couch with her husband.” Take away my computer and cell phone. But this is not a rant against the idiocy that is facebook, because I enjoy facebook.
Over the last 6 months I have seen something repeatedly that nagged at me, and finally figured out what it is. Examples: “My husband is the greatest! I got a pedicure and a manicure and a massage for Mother’s Day.” “I am so spoiled, I got roses and chocolate covered strawberries and jewelry and a ton of other gifts for Valentine’s Day. It’s like Christmas.” And many others. I think that’s great that your husband gives you great gifts and remember holidays and treats you like a queen. And then I realized what bothers me. If you ask me why my husband is great, I will tell you. (You know I would tell you.) Not for presents or jewelry. Not for cooking dinner. My husband is great because he puts God first. Actively. Seeks. Him. Spends time in his Bible and prayer. Worships. Serving others is a priority. He is selfess. He is compassionate. He honors his commitments. He does buy me gifts. He does housework and laundry. He drives Whitney and her friends around. He will double his training runs and run his and then run with me, because he knows it makes my runs easier. And gives me his water when my bottle is empty. But none of that is what I would say makes him great. I have a godly man. And that is what makes him great.

1 comment: