Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Square Pegs

Deadlist Warrior. This is one of Nate’s favorite shows. The premise is scientifically comparing two warriors that never faced each other in battle and comparing weapons and fighting skill to see who would have won in a competition (to the death). The few I happened to be home while he was watching were Ninja vs. Spartan warrior, Maori warrior vs. Shaolin Chinese Monks and the Taliban vs. the IRA. It was very interesting. Violent, but not bloody, and as they used human skeletons on a stainless steel support wrapped in some ballistic type gel to recreate the human body, they weren’t hurting anyone. In some cases they used pig carcasses. In addition, the show explains the background of the warrior and why they began to fight. The Taliban and IRA are basically birthed from religious wars. Ninja’s were actually farmers that became warriors to protect their farms from the Samurai. And some of the means they employed were brutal. They would take eggs and hollow out the shell and then fill them with ground glass which they would crush the egg in their hand and throw it in the eyes of the Samurai. The Shaolin Monks were peace loving monks, but they were prosperous so they became targets of thieves. They were never on the offensive, but if you attacked them, they also had some brutal weapons and methods of fighting at their disposal. Watching the difference in size and agility of the warriors, strength and quickness, and the types of weapons and how they played into the strengths of the warriors fascinated me. The Maori Warriors were large tattooed men. Big clubs, long spears. They were fierce and strong. The Shaolin Monk utilized speed and quickness and kung fu type movements, small razor sharp steel weapons that also played to their strengths. Some were offensive warriors, going into battle. Some only fought in defense. I’m more like that, less likely to attack, but definitely willing to defend. I kept thinking of the square peg in a round hole theory. If the Ninja had to wear Spartan armor and fight with their shield and sword, they would not have been effective. And I’m just guessing the Spartans didn’t use too many ninja moves.
I have always known I’m a square peg. The challenge is finding a square hole. There aren’t many. I gave up forcing my way into the round hole. I can’t do it. Whether it’s because I physically can’t or someone else in authority says, no, don’t think you’re going to do that, I don’t even try anymore. I have no trouble stepping in and helping out, filling a need where I can, when I can. But I’ve quit trying to be something I’m not. I haven’t quit trying to improve what I am. But if I’m a Spartan Warrior (this is the one I think I’m most like, they wear skirts and hide behind shields. They protect others with their shields. When attacked if they lose their weapon, they will hit you with their shield). I have to be the best Spartan I can be.
I can’t be a Ninja or Shaolin Monk, but I reserve the right to employ some of their tactics.

No comments:

Post a Comment