Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Secret Life #2

Cold war. That was our topic this Sunday. Being a big (big doesn't really do me justice on this front, but it's the best word I got) fan of spy novels, I have enjoyed the last two weeks likening the spy world to the Christian life. I think I would like being a spy. Maybe because I'm nosy.
The cold war is the war within ourselves between the old sin nature and the new nature we receive when we accept Christ. Mark ended the service with the verse Paul wrote about how he wanted to do good but didn't, didn't want to do evil but did. Paul struggled with this, and Paul was a great Christian man. I know I deal with this (I won't say how often, but let's just say more than I want to admit). I want to do good. I really do. And then I don't. I don't want to do bad, but then I do it. Then I beat myself up over it. These natures are very much alive inside me and at war. All the more reason to immerse myself in God's Word. Pray without ceasing. Think before acting. Think before speaking. Make every effort to do good. And when I don't, get it right and get back on with it.
I wonder if there is a James Bond marathon on television this weekend? Or maybe back to back Bourne movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment