Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Greensburg

The most awesome high school weight room I have ever seen.

Gym is almost totally lit by the skylights.

Indoor wood is reclaimed from South Eastern Kansas farms/Barns.

Outdoor wood in the courtyard is reclaimed cypress from Hurrican Katrina.

*photos courtesy of Ryan Morris
I had the opportunity to be in Greensburg, Kansas on Friday night. Dedication of the new high school. The Newspring Band led worship. Greensburg was hit by an E5 tornado on May 4, 2007. Destroyed 95% of the town and killed 11 people. Since then, they have been rebuilding. I drove through Greensburg a year after the tornado hit, and saw the MASH hospital, set up in tents. Saw the downtown area which was flattened. It was sad. But when we were there this last week, there are businesses. Restaurants and salons. And the school is incredible. Greensburg rebuilt "green". The school is a technological masterpiece. It's also brand new and sparkling clean, and filled with promise. When the band was leading worship I watched them, and the crowd. The crowd was emotional, and I fully understand that. They lived through a horrific tragedy. And who knows what else they have dealt with on personal levels. The band looked like they were having the time of their lives worshipping God. (I know these people, it's true). And they looked like between the ten of them they didn't have a concern in the world. (I know these people, that's not true). However, I left wondering where we would all be three years from now in our lives. Our current struggles and troubles, how would God rebuild them? How many of us would still be spending time together? Sharing our lives, sharing worship? As I look at the storms in my life at this moment (Hurricane Amanda for example) I wonder what God will do in that instance in 3 years. I have witnessed some amazing things in my life that God has done. And I'm so excited to see what he will do in the next three years. I don't expect it to be easy, but I expect it to be good!

1 comment:

  1. Is it ever easy? No. Is it always good? Yes.

    That's a beautiful school. What a shame the way Greensburg had to acquire it.

    ReplyDelete