Tuesday, August 31, 2010

2:00 A.M. Friends

I read the other day (on a preacher’s blog or something like that) that we should all have someone in our lives that is close to us that either doesn’t know God or is far from God at all times (my kids are in public education and athletics, I have the chance to spend hours upon hours with people like this, and I try desperately to talk about Christ with everyone I can, because I feel this is a place God has put me and an opportunity I can’t miss).
He said we also should have 2:00 a.m. friends. I thought about this 2:00 a.m. friend quite a bit. I thought about it both ways, do I have them, am I one, (and would my friends think I’m one?). I know that I am one. I would help any friend out at 2:00 a.m. whether they are a close friend or more of an acquaintance. This goes back to high school and college years where I was the sober taxi driver. I got calls to come drive drunk friends home, and I did. I got a call from a friend at his bachelor party, night before his wedding, and I was the only one he could think of to call and he didn’t want his family or fiancĂ© mad at him. 2:00 a.m. is a lonely hour. If you are struggling with a problem, a burden, and it causes sleeplessness, it’s a hopeless time. It’s a great time for Bible study and prayer, but it’s a time satan can really attack too. I have been wondering how I let my friends know that when they are struggling with something, anything, anytime, they can call, email, text, and I’ll be there for them. I don’t even need to know what it is. Just that they need a friend. I’ve spent so many sleepless nights. I can’t imagine not being there for someone struggling. I sometimes put a bubble around myself and don’t talk about problems. Partly because I have so many I just don’t want people to hide when they see me coming and partly because it just hurts. So I talk about the good things that are happening, stuff the bad things down, and suffer in silence. I realized this morning that is not fair to my friends. Because just as I would (and do) pray for them, and want to, I know they feel that way about me.
I went to church yesterday. I usually do. We had our annual baptism service. We saw over 350 (I never heard the exact number) people make their faith in Jesus public in baptism. Show that they were followers of Jesus and wanted everyone to know. Pretty neat thing to see. While I was there the strangest thing happened. Little Evie May lifted her hands to me, she’s a year and a half old. I picked her up and held her for a few minutes before she was off and running. I see her occasionally, her parents are friends, but she doesn’t know me well enough to want to be held. About 30 minutes later Brielie lifted her hands to be held. Brielie’s parents are good friends, but toddler Brielie doesn’t know me. I held her for a little while. And as I was walking out of the arena, 3 year old Anna asked if she could hold my hand and walked out with me. Anna does know me, by name even. And for a mom who doesn’t get a whole lot of hugs anymore (cause we aren’t the most demonstrative family and my kids are teenagers), these three little girls made my day. (Along with a big hug from a special 8 year old Ellie). These 4 girls mom’s are what made me think I was selling my friends short. Because while of these three mom’s, I would only tell one of them my deepest ugliest secrets, I know if these 4 beautiful girls were going through anything like what two of mine are and the fallout onto two more of them, (and I’m already praying this never happens) I would pray for them without stopping. So I need the prayer of my friends. I don’t want to pull them down with my burdens, but I need to know that people who love me are praying for me. I don’t think I have a harder life than everyone else. I just have a different life with different trials. But I have a good life. I have a good Savior. I have a good family. I have good friends. And I don’t want to ever be guilty of taking any of this for granted, or not valuing it for what it is worth. So if you need a 2:00 a.m. friend, I’m your girl. But call before 5:00 because then I’ll be out running with my 5:00 a.m. friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment