Friday, August 27, 2010

Training Update

I had great runs this week. Multiple choice question: Did I run better because A. 30 degree lower temperatures B. Steve bought me some new shoes (more on these later) C. I’m down 19 pounds since May 29 D. All of the above. Pretty sure it’s D. Lower temperatures are great. It’s sad when 87 is great weather to run in and is 30 degrees cooler. I ran in the morning and no lie, 50 degrees cooler than runs were last week. Second hottest summer in Kansas history, not since 1936 have we had a summer this hot. I bought a new pair of running shoes two weeks ago. In my normal shopping way, I looked for good shoes, but price always plays into it. Especially since Whitney had another growth spurt and needed clothes for school. I wore my gray Asics one last time and paid dearly for it because my feet felt like stumps when I got done running, and I know better. So I got some great yellow Nikes. Felt great. Then Steve ordered me some new shoes. They are called Newtons, as in Sir Isaac. He paid 3.5 times what I paid for the Nikes. (He does not shop like I do). I put them on and Oh. My. Word. I am a convert. The plantar fasciitis I’ve had for the last 13 months did not bother me a single step. They are hard to walk in, but awesome to run in. And they are bright orange with sparkly green logo. Now, about the 19 pounds in 12 weeks. Since I have pretty much sweated it off with exercise, I have lost a lot of inches. I felt like I was dressing out of the rag bag. Realized I pretty much have been. I have this garbage bag in my closet that I’ve been throwing stuff in that doesn’t fit. But then I have nothing to wear so I’m taking clothes back out of it. Fortunately I like dresses, and they are easier to wear longer. Even my elastic skirts are too big. But the worst part, and yes this is bad, is my favorite running skirt and favorite running capris are too big. And since they are both spandex that’s hard to do. Once I’m really sweaty and they stick to me I’m okay. But the first mile is pretty interesting. I have a problem with shopping. First off, I don’t have a whole lot of disposable income. And what we do have we consistently spend on running shoes. I also am picky. And I love fashion. And I don’t like to look like everybody else. I will bypass wearing certain things that are in style because everyone has them. I could list things, but that’s irrelevant. They can be cute, fashionable, and I might like it, a lot, but I won’t wear it if everyone else is. I have a love for neutrals such as blacks, grays, and browns, but do like color also. But with red hair, and red lipstick, I always have color. Anyway, I like the pounds and inches off, I just think I’m going to get by till I need winter clothes. As long as nothing falls off, I’ll be fine. Marathon is 6 weeks away and I’m not even nervous. I guess that’s because I have run one and I know how miserable I’ll be, but I’m doing it anyway, and I also have a different training plan and a second goal after the marathon which takes some of the pressure away from the marathon, but does add some stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment