Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One foot in front of the other

This is an emotional week for me. I'm going to tell you why, and then I'm going to tell you more about my training. Because it doesn't make me tear up. (Okay it does, but in a different way). Whitney turned 14 yesterday. She starts high school Friday. Nate starts college the 23rd. Even though he is living at home, it's a major step. I'm pretty sure the living at home has a lot to do with his bed, his television, his laundry and his stomach. I'm not going to complain. And Whitney, too grown up. So on to running...
I told you I'm doing a 50 mile training plan *IT'S KICKING MY BUTT!* And I plan to run a marathon in October and my first unofficial ultra marathon in November with Steve. My goal is at least 31 miles, which is a 50K. And for Steve to live through this. Steve told me the other day that since I'm training for one, I should run one. A 50 mile run. There is one in March we want to do. It's the trail we ran our first half marathon on. So if I stay healthy, I'm going to do it. Or anyway, I'm going to attempt to do it. I've been keeping really good records of my runs through this heat, so it will be interesting to see how it goes, comparing training from June through October and then November through March. I saw some really cool tattoo running tights the other day...
I have been really tired. Dragging. So I have done some research, reading magazines, books and on line, talking to other runners and it sounds like a cop out, but I am over training. Recommendation is take an additional rest day for a couple of weeks, or change one midweek day run to cross training. Will see. I like sticking with the plan. I also am not eating enough. Never been said about me in my life. It's not so much eating more, I think, but eating better. Like instead of pop tarts for breakfast I should have had oatmeal. But pop tarts are grab and go and dry oatmeal straight from the big cardboard cylinder is not great. So I'm going to have to plan better (includes buying enough healthy stuff at the grocery store, because I have a huge box of pop tarts and no apple cinnamon nutrigrain bars, I am out of low fat granola bars and yogurt but still have chocolate chip cookies and popsicles). On the other side of it, it's been a long time since I had a fast food burger and fries.
I'm adding some hill work to my training. My Tuesday 4 miles runs are now going to be on hills. Told Steve I was doing it because I need to be faster, and he said he'll run them with me. I love this guy. I appreciate this so much. BUT! If I'm trying to run faster to keep up with him and help him have better workouts, ie, faster, and he gets faster too, why don't I just avoid the hills and we can both stay running the same speed?

No comments:

Post a Comment