Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Freebie

There is a movie that is/was out this summer, one an award from the Sundance Movie Festival. I stumbled across it on line by accident, looking for running stuff. Anyway, this 30's aged couple is at a lull in the sex lives. Can't even remember how long it's been since they had sex. BIG PROBLEM THERE. Should never go that long. I won't share my philosopy on that, again, veil of silence, but that's just wrong. This couple decides to spice up their sex life by you guessed it, each of them having a "freebie" a night to do whatever with whomever, no strings, no questions. Everything in me just screams how wrong this is. The review did allude to the fact that the end of the movie did give the idea that this was a bad idea and didn't work out well. (YA THINK???) I won't be seeing it, but I hope this is true.
Marriage is hard work. I have to imagine there are times where not only does Steve choose to love me, but he has to choose to like me as well. The smile? May be only because he loves the Lord and so it comes through to me. But looking for satisfaction outside of your marriage is nothing but a recipe for disaster. I took this especially hard because I have a friend with teenagers who is most likely going to leave her husband in the very near future. I can't stop it, I can't help. I know it's going to be devastating to her kids. And I just wonder when and where it went wrong? Letting an issue slide because it wasn't worth the time, or the effort to work out that you were hurt and why? Not apologizing for when you hurt your spouse? Being indifferent to their needs? Being indifferent to them in general? Not taking the time to treat them like you want to be treated? Not loving them as Christ loved you, forgiving as Christ forgave you? Not being selfless instead of selfish? And it makes me want to be good to my husband.

1 comment:

  1. Eee-yikes. The worst part is that Hollywood puts the idea out there in such an appealing way that it essentially teaches people that it's an accepted alternative, when it's not.

    You're right. Marriage is hard work. Love is a decision I have to make not only every day, but often, several times a day depending on certain situations. Same goes for my husband.

    Honestly, there are many days where I wonder how married couples that don't know Christ even survive, especially for the long term. I wouldn't even want to ATTEMPT marriage without Him on my side! I did once, and it didn't work. Well, it got very difficult and instead of trying to make it work, we gave up because that's the solution the world teaches is the easiest.

    Thankfully that departure brought me to where I am now...

    ReplyDelete