Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Going further

The last two races I've been at have been fun. The marathon two weeks ago and crewing at the 100K yesterday. So much fun in fact, that I decided this weekend to begin training for a 50 mile race to call my own. I have one in my sights, and it's this fall. If I'm not ready, I have another one in my sights next spring. I guess this means I'm pretty serious about it if I have a back up plan.

I also have two I'm looking at in July that are in the 50K range. So I have plan...

Now, I haven't registered as I reserve the right to not start and DNF. But I am going to do one.

Since my summer is wide open, I have the time to train correctly right now. So it seems like a good time to push myself. I wasn't going to tell my plans because I might not succeed. But that's kind of chicken poop of me. So I'm going to lay it out there and give you the training updates, the good, the bad, and the ugly. And when it's ugly, I'll share pictures. Because I think I look great hot, sweaty, panting, in pain and out of breath.

Following Steve around I have made a few friends in the ultra running world that really inspire me.

This is Sophia. She is a Mizuno rep in Topeka and a running coach and an ultra-runner and the leader/founder of the "MudBabes" that run together in Lawrence. I have made myself an honorary member. And when Sophia comes to Wichita for work, we have her over. We luuvvvv her.

And Coleen, who coaches runners through her "Tramps Like Us" running group in the Olathe area. She is great fun to spend an evening around and a strong runner. Like places in the female divisions at 100 mile races.

I admire both these women, their strength and success in their sport. I also love LOVE watching them with their running clients (and every other runner on the course). Their clients success is important to them. They celebrate their successes with them. They push them to do more, be better. They show up at races and work aid stations and cheer their runners on (and everyone else), they run a marathon and then go back to the aid station and run the last 8 miles of a race with a struggling friend.

Most of all, I see in them one of the qualities I strive for in my life, and that is to cheer on other women. To be on their side. To encourage them. To push them. To tell them they can do it. To tell them they are beautiful. To say you did great. You worked hard. You pushed yourself. You are strong and amazing.

Because face it, no matter what, it's tough being a woman. Whether you are married, single or divorced; a parent or childless. Wheteher you are tall or short; thin or heavy; blonde, brunette or redhead.

I think we are all beautiful, strong and amazing in our own right.

And there are enough mean girls in the world already tearing women down. I want to be part of the building up.

I also want to say I ran an ultra marathon.

2 comments:

  1. AWWWWW Patsy!! You are SO wonderful and seeing your smiling face at races is always a joy! I wish you and Steve lived closer... because I want to run with and be encouraged by you regularly! I can't wait to see you cross that finish line on your first ultra... and if you need anything to help achieve that goal, all you have to do is ask! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey pretty lady...I should've asked you and Sophia if I could pirate pictures. And told you I wrote about you. And I may need to pick your brain. But I have coach Steve and he is merciless! And isn't going to run The Hawk, he's going to crew me.

      Delete