Thursday, April 12, 2012

Status

I saw a facebook status the other day that someone shared. I don't know the girl who posted it originally, but it started out "I'm not hot or gorgeous..." and went on to say all the things she is not, but she is "me" and that is good enough, or something like that. You get the idea. I hate these. I believe everyone of us is special and yes, even beautiful, because we are created in the image of our God. Having said that, Mark took a picture of me* running into the aid station on Saturday and I was not gorgeous, however I looked hot. Literally. I look awful. My ponytail had come out when the rubber band caught on a tree branch and I put my sweaty hair back up while I was running, no comb, no hair pins, etc. It was a bad angle. My legs looked extra heavy in the skirt, the white tank top was not flattering and I was wearing a huge waist pack with two 16 oz bottles attached at my hips. I was sunburned, flushed, and wind chapped. But I like the picture. Because I was doing something I love. I was having a good time. I thought how I would never post that I'm hot (unless I'm physically sweating my butt off) or gorgeous. But I also will never post that I'm not. I do the best I can, and I like what I see...most of the time.

In light of this:

Things I won’t share as a facebook status

Pictures of meat I’m cooking on the grill. (Ya’ll have seen chicken breast before, right?)

My weight (nunja)

What Steve and I are doing on a date (you can pity me or be jealous, it could go either way)

The fact that I’m sitting on my couch (life in the fast lane)

That I did dishes, laundry or carpool (doesn’t everyone?)

The word I just played on words with friends (whether it’s 2 points or 104 points)

My political opinion (no one cares anyway)

What the weather is like (we joke at our house that we look at facebook to confirm that it’s raining)


Things I will share as a facebook status

Any encounter with a snake (if I grill the snake, I’ll break the above rule and share pictures)

That I was called a name while I was running (a name that would have to do with my weight)

Pictures of Whitney doing anything (whether it’s terribly mediocre or startlingly amazing)

That I drove carpool for Whitney and her friends and they said/did something outrageous (which is all the time. Whitney, Madel and Denae are hilarious)

What Steve and I are doing as it relates to running for extremely long amounts of time in very challenging terrain, climate, etc.


And everyone of you who reads this? You need to believe that you are created in the image of your heavenly father. Love who you are. If you don't like something about yourself that is in your power to change, go for it. Hair color, wax, tan, lose 10-100 pounds. But none of those things change your value as a person.


*while I say I loved the picture, I am not going to share it with you. Does that make me a hypocrite? I guess I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment