Sunday, January 8, 2012

13 weeks

I'm thirteen weeks from my first 2012 marathon. I was very concerned Christmas that I wasn't going to have time to get ready. But there is a wait list, and I know a couple of people wanting in so I could get my money back.

I decided to give it the week between Christmas and New Year's and see what happened. What happened was everytime I put on my running shoes Steve headed out with me. Even if he had already ran that day. And I ran a couple of 4 milers, a 6 miler and a couple of 8 milers. This week back at work, my regular scheduled life, I was still able to stick to my schedule and get my runs (and my Yassos) in.

Today I met Sheila for five miles while Steve was at worship team practice and then headed home to run more on the trail. I ran the first mile and a half with Steve for his warm up, and then he went on ahead. At about 3 miles in I saw him coming back toward me on the trail. His camelback had a leak and his back was soaked. He couldn't go too far without water so he was going to call today a bust. Since I was at a little past 8 miles for the day and still had to get home I traded him camelbacks, dumped the water out of the leaky one and headed home with he empty and let him finish his long run.

I know every short cut (if there is one) to get home, so I climbed out of the trail, hopped the fence into the church frisbee golf course and headed home the shortest route. Ended up with a total of 11 miles and I feel pretty good about that. I feel confident about being ready for a marathon in 13 weeks. If I just add a mile a week to my long run I'm there. (The trick will be training and running it to be ready for the one I want to run two weeks after).

I'm so happy to have friends that share my running passion. I'm also very happy that Steve loves it too and that he runs with me and pushes me and causes me to be better. Now I'm going to go read my new Runner's World.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are an inspiration to me! My first half-m is coming up in 14 weeks.

    ReplyDelete