Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolutions - No, not this year

I was talking with Steve, Nate and Whitney at lunch today.

Took Nate to his favorite restaurant for his last full day in town. I have never eaten there. Da Cajun Shack. We ordered Da PaPaw (pronounced pow pow). Gator, crawfish, catfish and shrimp. Fried okra, cajun fries, dirty rice and jambalaya. It was very good.

While we were there, we talked about resolutions. I decided that I should only make ones I can keep. Had to explain myself. If I set running goals to run 5 races, but have 10 on my schedule including 10K's and 5K's, I should easily meet the 5. If I say I'm going to read the Bible through this year, that is actually less than I generally read it in a years time. If I say I'm going to eat healthy, that's one thing. But healthier is a different resolution altogether, and much easier to manage.

While on the topic of the Bible, Nate asked if that gets boring. I have to admit, the list of "begats" gets kind of monotonous. But I said that the stories are really good. Nate proceeded to tell me he knows all the stories in the Bible. (Quite possible, years of Awana's and 5 years of Christian school plus Sunday School, etc). Whitney was not to be outdone so she tells us "well, I wrote the Bible". Taken in context, which everything must be with Whitney, it was funny.

So I'm not making resolutions - except for this one. To live in the moment. Be fully present IN THE MOMENT. Not focus on the past, not fixate on the future. Not disappear into myself to avoid reality.

I will enjoy every minute spent sitting in the bleachers at volleyball.

I will cherish every word of every text, email, blog comment, phone conversation, face to face conversation.

I will meet my friends for lunch, dinner and coffee.

I will make the most of every step I run, solitary or with a running partner. Training run or a race.

I will enjoy cheering Steve on at all his races and being his crew.

I will read books I love and if I don't love them, I'll put them down and find one I do love.

I will enjoy my food. I can eat healthy and enjoy it both.

These aren't resolutions. This is a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment