Monday, June 4, 2012

Lessons from the trail part 4 - Life is lived in the valley

When I was running in Boulder, CO I climbed a small mountain. And when I got to the top of the ridge I was moved to tears. (I think I cry easy and too much, but Nate made the comment that weekend that his Aunt Michelle was like me. She didn't want people to see her cry or know that she did). I tell people I do, but I guess I cover it well. Big aviators are good for that.

Anyway, I worked really hard to get to the top of the ridge. I wanted to get to the top of the ridge. And when I got there, I was so proud of myself, and as I shed a few tears of exhaustion, pride, and awe of the sheer majesty and beauty of the mountain in front of me, I was hit with a thought.

I was on the mountain top. It was beautiful and moving and I was alone. No one to share it with. Just me. And I loved it. But all I could do was take a picture and share my story. I didn't share this picture with my training report, this is the actual view looking down over the valley.

Life was in the valley. Everyone I love was in the valley. I was alone (with God) on the mountain top.

See, I always want the mountain top exeprience. I don't like being in the valley. I clawed my way up from the valley. I was short of breath, dirty (even had dirt in my hair), sweaty, tired, my hands were scratched up because I had to use a stick to pull myself up, I held onto rocks to make my way. I wanted it that bad. And it was worth it. But I WAS ALONE.

I realize many towns are built on hills. But for the object lesson I got that day most of my life has been lived in the valley. I'm comfortable there. I know how to survive, even succeed. The mountaintop experience was probably all the more special because it's rare and it's hard work to get there.

I wished so much that Steve was up there with me.  Next time, we will stay together on the trail. Or go twice so we can go together one day and explore on our own the second. I tend to have bigger adventures, but that may be because he is more level and uses his common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment