Sunday, June 10, 2012

T minus 13 weeks

I ran Storm the Dam Trail half marathon yesterday.   It was hot.  And windy.  And fun.


As I work towards my first ultra (my friend Mark says Ive already ran an ultra because Rockin K Trail Marathon is actually over 27 miles) I realize I have the same nerves and anxiety. What if I cant? What if I cant make it? I also have more experience and the guts to say that if Im not ready, I will drop to the marathon distance or not run at all that weekend. And I have that thought at least once a week.  Doesn’t hurt as much as the first few did when I was proving to myself (and yes, everyone else) that I could do it. Now I know I can do it, and I dont much care if everyone else thinks Im a stud or a failure (or really, where they place me on that scale at all).    I did have a rough time Saturday afternoon with some disparaging comments, but a good nights sleep and it's all history. 

This week we celebrated National Run Day. Which means everyone who runs shared something heartfelt or poignant about why they run (except for me) and ran some miles because it was Wednesday and in most training plans, thats the mid-week mid-to-long run day.

When they post the question I run because_________ I read the answers. And they all have validity. I had some fun making my list.

I run because:

Im being chasedby my own personal demons.
Its the only time as a 44 year old mother of two teenagers I can wear pink pleated mini-skirts and its acceptable.
I get to wear pink pleated mini-skirts.
I can run further than my teenagers.
I like to smell really REALLY BAD.
My life without running is not near as exciting. No snakes, bob cats or naked homeless men stories.
I have made so many great new friends through running and I want to stay friends with them and Im afraid its the only thing we have in common.
I am a masochist. I really do enjoy pain.

I really didnt have a serious answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment