Sunday, June 3, 2012

T minus 14 weeks

Fourteen weeks sounds so close...

Time flies….unlike me when I’m running, lol.

I am still dealing with the emotional issues that come from having a snake wrapped around my legs. Mostly, I just think about it and shudder. No nightmares and I haven’t needed counseling to get back out on the trail.

I did get asked a question so I will fill in a gap. How did I, very snake conscious, take my eyes off the ground long enough to get attacked by this Colorado monster.

I was never very far from civilization. At any point in my hike/climb/run I could see houses and cars and other people ON THE TRAIL. I could even hear people talking. But I came across a dead deer. Being as quick as I am (at least mentally) it didn’t take but a second for my deductive reasoning skills to kick in…this deer was not hit by a car. Something had ripped his throat out and feasted on the inside of him. And it had been fairly recently. So re-enter the mountain lion thoughts from Rockin K Marathon. And the fact that my haunches might have a touch more meat on them than they should and I might be a good option for dinner, a little variety and all, and that was all it took to get snake whipped. (I did talk to Whitney this week and she has asked that I stay on the trails from now on. She is probably the only one that can ask that and I would comply Interestingly enough, Steve was running when it started hailing the other night, big hail stones, some golf ball size. Whitney thought HE was a stud. I didn't have the heart to tell her that a hail stone that big could do serious damage. We went and rescued him).

So this week, I go out Tuesday night to our trail, where I have seen the occasional snake, but my biggest fear back there has always been opossum and skunks. Steve was already running and I was hoping to run into him. I got one mile in where I turn north and headed that way. I hear someone behind me yelling, which of course can only be Steve, he is coming in from the south loop. Which if I had run, I would’ve missed him, because I’d been far enough behind him and wouldn’t have seen him in the trees. (This was boring details, but needed for the next part of the story).

Steve tells me that he will run my four miles with me on the trail (he is at mile 9 of his 10) because the homeless guy that has been back there for the last week or so is out, and he is naked. I TURNED AROUND AND HEADED OUT OF THE TRAIL. Apparently I am more scared of homeless naked guy then I am of bob cats and snakes. I finished on the treadmill at the Y.

Saturday I was registered for the River Run 10K and woke up with stomach trouble. I ate something the night before that didn't agree with me. I have ran a race in this condition with extremely unfavorable results and swore I would never do it again. Steve had a 40 mile run and I took him lunch and told him I was going to run 10. So he rode home with me and ran his last 10 with me. You would think after 30 miles I could stay with him without struggling. But the man is a machine. We ran the bike path for 10 miles. It was a beautiful afternoon and he is so much fun to run with.

Next week is a push week and a half marathon at El Dorado, the Storm the Dam. Steve has run this race every year it's been held. He is already registered. I haven't decided yet, but he said he'll run with me if I want to do it. Can't argue with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment