Monday, June 18, 2012

Lessons from the trail part 6 - I'm a snake magnet

I was told I was a snake magnet. I laughed. I seem to see a lot of snakes. But I'm not a snake magnet. I'm pretty sure I have the same amount of encounters as many other trail runners. Or less, because many spend more hours than me on trails. 

My theory? I'm very aware of snakes when I'm on the trail. And if I take my focus off, I end up with one wrapped around my ankles. Because I'm aware of snakes, overly aware, I think I see them more.

That idea that once you buy something you see it everywhere? Or pick a name for your kid that you don't know any others, and then there are 12 of them in the next month? It's that concept.

I thought of this verse, 1 Peter 5:8 "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour".


I'm not a snake magnet, I'm alert.

I have gotten over my deathly fear of snakes in the last couple years. I now feel like I have a healthy fear of snakes. I respect that they are harmful, (AND SCARE THE PEE OUT OF ME) but I won't let them keep me from something I enjoy. The trail.


As for the devil, I'd rather not run into him either.

No comments:

Post a Comment